WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The spokesman for President Donald Trump’s National Security Council plans to leave the administration, the White House said on Sunday, a day before Trump’s third national security adviser formally takes up his post. Michael Anton, who also worked for former President George W. Bush’s National Security Council and is a former BlackRock managing director, is leaving after serving under Trump for more than a year, White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said in a statement. “Michael is one of the smartest and most talented individuals I’ve ever worked with,” Sanders said. “He will be greatly missed.” Trump telephoned Anton on Sunday to thank him for his service, a White House official said. The White House did not offer a reason for Anton’s departure or say exactly when he would leave. The departure is the latest in a string of staff changes in the administration. Anton told Politico he planned to … [Read more...] about Trump’s national security spokesman plans to leave White House
close Video WH talks Trump's 'America First' national security strategy National Security Council official Michael Anton previews President Trump's plan on 'Fox & Friends.' National Security Council spokesman Michael Anton is leaving the Trump administration, the White House confirmed Sunday night. Anton's departure comes the day before incoming national security adviser John Bolton starts his new job. Outgoing national security adviser H.R. McMaster marked his final day of service in the post on Friday. Anton told Politico that he plans to join Hillsdale College's Kirby Center as a writer and lecturer. "I will be forever grateful to President Trump for the opportunity to serve my country and implement his agenda," Anton said. In a statement, White House press secretary Sarah Sanders called Anton "one of the smartest and most talented individuals I’ve ever worked with -- not to mention an amazing chef. "He has been more than a colleague, he is a true … [Read more...] about Trump national security spokesman Michael Anton to leave White House
NORRISTOWN, Pa. (AP) — The Latest on Bill Cosby's sexual assault retrial (all times local):6 p.m.Bill Cosby has left a suburban Philadelphia courthouse after jury selection in his sexual assault case wrapped up, thanking a woman who wished him good luck.Cosby spokesman Andrew Wyatt says the defense team expects the panel of 12 jurors and six alternates will be "fair and impartial." He says the jurors should "erase everything they heard outside this courtroom when they come in for Monday."That's when opening statements are scheduled in the retrial that pits Cosby against a woman who says he drugged and assaulted her in 2004. Cosby says the encounter was consensual.The 80-year-old comedian's first trial ended in a hung jury.Prosecutors didn't comment on the case Thursday.———5:25 p.m.Jury selection is nearly finished in the Bill Cosby sexual assault case.Six racially diverse alternate jurors were picked without incident Thursday after an earlier showdown over the … [Read more...] about The Latest: Cosby spokesman urges jurors to remain impartial
Mayor Bill de Blasio has agreed the city will pay for half of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority’s Subway Action Plan, his spokesman said Saturday. After months of staunch opposition, the mayor has agreed to contribute $418 million toward the $836 million plan that the state-controlled authority had unveiled last summer. The funding was included in Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s $168.3 billion state budget announced Friday night, through which the governor had pressured the city for the funds. The mayor had previously argued that the authority hadn’t spent its money wisely and that city commuters already contribute about 70 percent of the authority’s revenue. One of the mayor’s appointees to the MTA board has questioned whether the action plan, which relies heavily on the hiring of nearly 3,000 new transit workers, has been effective at improving service since the MTA began rolling out elements of the strategy in recent months. “When it comes to the … [Read more...] about Half of MTA Subway Action Plan funding to be paid by NYC, de Blasio spokesman says
A spokesman for Pennsylvania state Rep. Nick Miccarelli stressed on Thursday evening that the Delaware County politician is an innocent man wrongly accused of abusive behavior and sexual misconduct.In a statement, spokesman Frank Keel also said the accusations by two unnamed former girlfriends are an "unfortunate byproduct" of the #MeToo movement, a hashtag that went viral on social media last fall and fueled sexual assault and harassment awareness in the aftermath of the disturbing allegations against disgraced movie mogul Harvey Weinstein."It needs to be said that the #MeToo movement is laudable, but what about the #NotMe movement?" Keel's statement read in part. "Nick Miccarelli is an innocent man. An unfortunate byproduct of the #MeToo movement has been a tendency by too many people to rush to judgment in the court of public opinion."Keel sent the statement to media outlets soon after state GOP leaders called for the five-term representative to resign his … [Read more...] about Miccarelli spokesman: What about #NotMe movement?