Four patients underwent cross blood group liver transplantation at a hospital here recently. All of them are doing well, according to the doctors who performed the procedure. Director of Institute of Liver Diseases at MGM Healthcare S. Thiagarajan said the hospital had been performing incompatible blood group (ABOi) liver transplant surgeries for a year. Annually, only 10% of over one lakh patients requiring liver transplant find cadaveric organs whereas the remaining 90% were unable to go for it because of incompatible blood group. Japan had come up with a technology to overcome this problem. “We learnt the technology from Japan and started using the new technology,” Dr. Thiagarajan said. Of the two patients presented before the media on Wednesday, one from Kerala developed chronic liver failure and had been waiting for more than three years for a donor. He could not find a compatible living donor in his family or cadaver donor. The other patient had been waiting for over a year. … [Read more...] about City hospital performs cross-blood group liver transplantation
WORLD AIDS VACCINE DAY 2022: On 31 December 31, SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, was first identified. By December 11, 2020 the Pfizer vaccine became the first to receive emergency use authorization from the US Food and Drug Administration. Today, there are several vaccines available for Covid. But even after years, there is no vaccine for life-threatening HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus). World AIDS Vaccine Day is a day dedicated to emphasize the ongoing urgent requirement of an HIV vaccine; and also acknowledge the insurmountable work done by healthcare professionals, researchers on HIV, all across the globe, World AIDS Vaccine Day is an extremely significant event. Attempting towards spreading awareness on HIV, AIDS, educating individuals on the preventive measures, causes, the day is also known as HIV Vaccine Awareness Day. It has been a long time since the world was inflicted with this life-threatening HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus). Only a proper vaccine … [Read more...] about World AIDS Vaccine Day 2022: Why is There No HIV/AIDS Vaccine After Years, When We Have Several for COVID-19 After a Few Months?