By Alan Baldwin MONACO (Reuters) - McLaren boss Zak Brown shouldered the blame on Thursday for the team's failure to qualify Fernando Alonso for this weekend's Indianapolis 500 and said he would do things very differently next time. Speaking to reporters at the Monaco Grand Prix, the American was confident there would be a return to The Brickyard but the post-mortem into what went wrong this year was still being carried out. Brown said the reasons why McLaren felt they should be at Indianapolis had not changed and highs and lows were part of the sport. "I think you have to dust yourself off, learn by your mistakes and come back fighting. So that's what we intend to do," he said. "To not do something is easy but that's not what winners do. "There's very good reasons why McLaren should be in Indianapolis, it's a big market and partners want to be there. Our motor business is strong there." Spaniard Alonso, a double Formula One champion and Le Mans 24 Hours winner who is chasing the … [Read more...] about McLaren vow to learn from their Indianapolis fiasco
Le peep indianapolis
LONDON (Reuters) - Fernando Alonso will be replaced by New Zealander Brendon Hartley in the Toyota World Endurance Championship (WEC) team after the 24 Hours of Le Mans in June, the Japanese manufacturer announced on Wednesday. Toyota said twice Formula One world champion Alonso "will explore new motorsport adventures within the Toyota Gazoo Racing family". No details were given but the Spaniard recently tested a Toyota Dakar Rally car in South Africa. The next edition of that race will be held in Saudi Arabia in January 2020. Alonso won Le Mans with Toyota last year and will be trying to win the Indianapolis 500 with McLaren later this month to become only the second driver to complete the so-called "Triple Crown of Motorsport." "Now is a good time to take on new challenges and there are many interesting opportunities to explore within Toyota Gazoo Racing," said the 37-year-old, who left Formula One last year. "We still have two important races remaining as we are still in the fight … [Read more...] about Alonso to leave Toyota WEC team after Le Mans
By Aaron Wilson, Houston Chronicle Published 10:47 am CST, Thursday, February 28, 2019 PHOTOS: Contract situations for each Texans player during offseason Houston Texans running back Lamar Miller (26) runs the ball against Indianapolis Colts cornerback Kenny Moore (23) during the second quarter of an NFL football game at NRG Stadium, Sunday, Dec. 9, 2018, in Houston. >>>See contract situations for each Texans player during offseason ... less PHOTOS: Contract situations for each Texans player during offseason Houston Texans running back Lamar Miller (26) runs the ball against Indianapolis Colts cornerback Kenny Moore (23) during the second quarter ... more Photo: Karen Warren/Staff Photographer Photo: Karen Warren/Staff Photographer Image 1 of / 75 Caption Close … [Read more...] about Texans GM Brian Gaine says Lamar Miller to remain starting lead back
Carlos Monarrez Detroit Free Press Published 7:00 AM EST Feb 25, 2019 Big dudes running the 40-yard dash in underwear! Little dudes trying to bench press the bejesus out of 225 pounds! And, of course, kickers and punters trying to do anything! Yes, it’s finally here. The NFL scouting combine kicks off Tuesday in Indianapolis, when we get to see the future generation of stars take part in the closest thing sports has to a livestock auction. At this point, is there really much need for the combine? With so many other tools available to NFL teams like pro days and private workouts and official player visits, not to mention each team’s massive scouting department and the ability to watch game film from every snap of every player’s career, I'm starting to think NFL teams need a centralized operation to guide their judgment. When was the last time you heard a team say, “We weren’t going to draft this guy. But man, he was off the charts in the … [Read more...] about 2019 NFL combine predictions: How tall is Kyler Murray?
SAO PAULO (Reuters) - McLaren and two-times Formula One world champion Fernando Alonso will enter next year's Indianapolis 500, the team announced on Saturday. It will be the second time the Spaniard has taken part in the race, which he led in 2017 before retiring with an engine problem. The 37-year-old, who is also competing for Toyota in the World Endurance Championship, is leaving Formula One at the end of this season and the May 26 date in Indianapolis will not clash with any commitments. Alonso is a double Monaco Grand Prix winner and also won the Le Mans 24 Hours this year, leaving only Indianapolis between him and becoming only the second driver to achieve the 'Triple Crown of Motorsport'. The late Briton Graham Hill, also a two-times Formula One champion and who died in 1975, is the only one to have done it -- completing the triple in 1972. "I’ve made clear for some time my desire to achieve the Triple Crown. I had an incredible experience at Indianapolis in 2017 and I … [Read more...] about McLaren and Alonso to enter next year’s Indianapolis 500