EVERETT, Pa. – It was the day of the birthday party, and the husband and wife had invited everyone they knew. They’d spent the morning buying food – a sheet cake, jumbo hot dogs, ground beef, soda, chips – and were now standing around a picnic table covered with it all, along a long lake under a cloudless sky, hoping at least some people would show up to eat it. Today was the first time both sides of their family were supposed to come together, something that hadn’t happened at their wedding four months before. On that day, not a single member of the husband’s family had attended – not his brothers, who’d called him a fool for marrying like this, and not his parents, who’d told him the relationship would only get him into trouble. Just about the only people who’d gone that day, and were here so far on this day, had been the people involved in the wedding itself. There was Maria Vargas, a shy and brooding girl who looked older … [Read more...] about She was 16 when she married a 25-year-old. And their situation is surprisingly prevalent.
Cake 1 year old birthday
Published 10:05 pm PDT, Friday, September 28, 2018 In this Sept. 4, 2018 photo, long-time area teacher Joyce Emmons sits in her tutoring room, surrounded by teaching materials in her home in Manteno, Ill. Joyce retired from teaching just before she turned 80. She was set to retire sooner, but after her husband passed suddenly, she decided to continue teaching. Now at the Manteno American Legion from noon to 3 p.m." she tutors students. Tutoring makes me feel like I still have a purpose in life," she said. Emmons will recently celebrate her 90th birthday (Tiffany Blanchette/The Daily Journal via AP) less In this Sept. 4, 2018 photo, long-time area teacher Joyce Emmons sits in her tutoring room, surrounded by teaching materials in her home in Manteno, Ill. Joyce retired from teaching just before she turned 80. ... more Photo: Tiffany Blanchette, AP … [Read more...] about EXCHANGE: More teaching in the future for 90-year-old woman
A FAULTY boiler can have devastating consequences. Without regular checks and servicing, a boiler or any other gas appliance could leak toxic carbon monoxide – putting you and your family’s lives at risk. To mark Gas Safety Week, three readers speak to LYNSEY HOPE about their boiler disasters. They are urging you to get yours serviced and to install audible carbon monoxide monitors in your home. It might just save a life. Schoolgirl Katie Overton went to bed excited about her little sister’s birthday party next day — but tragically the family never got to celebrate. The next morning, the 11-year-old was found dead in her bed, having been poisoned by carbon monoxide which had leaked from a faulty boiler at her home. Stepdad Paul recalls: “We’d been busy getting ready for Emma’s fifth birthday party. We’d been baking cakes and blowing up balloons. “We went to bed as normal that night. In the morning we all got up and cracked on with … [Read more...] about Parents share tragic tale of how toxic boiler gas killed their 11-year-old girl to urge readers to be gas safe
Leonard N. Fleming The Detroit News Published 1:34 p.m. UTC Jul 23, 2018 Rochester Hills — At the spry age of 108, Rosaria "Sara" Martinico has seen it all: Two World Wars, the Great Depression, presidents and world issues come and go, family members born and those who have passed on. But on Sunday, as she surveyed a room full of people watching, capturing and marveling at her every move, nothing looked better than the scores of family and friends who came to celebrate her long years on earth. "It's wonderful," she said, about the birthday celebration four days after she actually turned 108. "I appreciate it. I'm tired ... but I have had a good life." Of the attention she was receiving from the media for her birthday party at the American House Village Senior Living facility where she lives in Rochester Hills, she added: "It's not necessary, but if it's news, it's news. It's too much. " On hand were five generations of family members, the youngest just shy … [Read more...] about Life spanning 2 centuries, 108 year old feted by 5 generations
A GRAN splashed £16,000 on a lavish party for her grandson's first birthday - including a golden highchair and a TOWIE star visit. Sharon Moseley, 53, treated more than 170 guests to a slap up seafood buffet washed down with an open bar for little Danny Smith's party. The no-expense-spared soldier-themed bash at That Amazing Place in Harlow, Essex, also included a four-tiered cake and a visit from TOWIE's Cara Kilbey. Youngsters tucked into chicken nuggets, cheeseburgers and chips served on a silver platter while adults dined on salmon bagels, hot pork buns and jellied eels costing £2,500. Birthday boy Danny watched the proceedings from his £650 golden high chair from John Lewis and had his outfit changed three times - at a cost of £500. But despite the outrageous cost of the day, property developer Sharon said she has no regrets. She said: "People who know me know that I would do it best. If you are going to do it, you have to do it properly. You … [Read more...] about Gran spends £16k on lavish birthday bash for ONE-YEAR-OLD grandson – complete with TOWIE star visit and golden highchair