Bayern Munich held on despite Joshua Kimmich's sending-off to beat Wolfsburg 4-2 and return to the top of the Bundesliga on Sunday.
Kimmich was sent off with his second yellow card in the 54th but Wolfsburg was unable to make its dominance count as the visitors delivered a lesson in efficiency.
ALSO READ| Premier League: Harry Kane's Landmark Strike Hands Tottenham 1-0 Win Over Manchester City
Kingsley Coman scored twice and Thomas Müller and Jamal Musiala added two more while Bayern also needed goalkeeper Yann Sommer at his best to secure the team's first Bundesliga win of the year.
It was enough for Bayern to move one point clear of Union Berlin.
Wolfsburg had 22 shots at goal compared to the 10-time defending champions' nine.
Wolfsburg pressured from the start but Bayern struck first in the ninth minute when Coman's cross for Müller evaded everyone and crept inside the far post.
Coman wasn't finished. The France winger met João Cancelo's cross with a volley for 2-0 five minutes later, right after Wolfsburg missed a great opportunity to level.
Müller, making his 427th appearance for Bayern to equal Gerd Müller's record, celebrated by heading in Kimmich's free kick for Bayern's third in only the 19th.
Despite the goals, Wolfsburg remained competitive and deservedly pulled one back through Jakub Kaminski before the break.
The home team pushed for more in the second half, missing two good chances before Kimmich was sent off with his second yellow card for a foul on Maximilian Arnold.
Wolfsburg enjoyed more possession but failed to make it count before Musiala snatched Bayern's fourth with a fine individual effort in the 73rd.
Mattias Svanberg pulled another back for Wolfsburg in the 81st and Yannick Gerhardt thought he'd made it 4-3 three minutes later, only to see the goal ruled out through VAR for an apparent foul in the buildup.
Earlier, second-half goals from Jens Stage and Marvin Ducksch earned Werder Bremen a 2-0 win at Stuttgart for the visitors' second consecutive victory.
It lifted promoted Bremen to eighth while Stuttgart dropped back into the relegation zone. Stuttgart hasn't won a game since mid-November.
Read all the Latest Sports News here
(This story has not been edited by News18 staff and is published from a syndicated news agency feed)
- Humbled in Holstein: Is Bayern Munich’s defeat a sign of deeper problems?
- Bundesliga: Huge chance for Bayern Munich as top-four rivals all lose
- Bayern Munich out of German Cup after penalty shootout defeat to Holstein Kiel
- Bundesliga Bulletin: Hertha Berlin fire Bruno Labbadia and Michael Preetz, Bayern Munich open up a lead
- Bundesliga Bulletin: Bayern Munich move clear as Borussia Dortmund and RB Leipzig stumble
- Holstein Kiel 2-2 Bayern Munich (aet, 6-5 pens): DFB-Pokal holders stunned by second-tier opposition
- Who is Bayern Munich's new English target Omar Richards?
- Augsburg 0-1 Bayern Munich: A tale of two penalties wins it for out-of-sorts champions
- Man Utd look to snatch Jamal Musiala, 17, as talks over new Bayern Munich deal stall with Liverpool also eyeing transfer
- Chelsea manager candidate Thomas Tuchel is fashion model, former barman, has business degree and refused Bayern Munich
- European roundup: Bayern edge past Freiburg to extend Bundesliga lead
- Bundesliga Bulletin: Bayern stay ahead with Dortmund's title dream in ruins
- Champions League: Grades for Bundesliga sides at the group stage midway point
- Man Utd can sign Douglas Costa thanks to Fifa transfer loophole as Juve want to cut short Bayern loan and move him on
- Wolfsburg win relegation playoff against Kiel, secure spot in Bundesliga
- Bundesliga: Schalke and Mainz cut adrift as Cologne and Bielefeld record big wins
- Chelsea ‘in talks’ to hire Thomas Tuchel as next manager as pressure grows on Lampard after Leicester defeat
- Mane scores brace as Liverpool defeat ten-man Chelsea 2-0
- Soccer PHOTOS: Barca beat Elche sans Messi; Juve win
- PIX: Inter Milan too good for Juve; Messi sees red!
Bundesliga: Bayern Munich Defeat Wolfsburg 4-2 to Reclaim Top Spot have 680 words, post on www.news18.com at February 6, 2023. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.