This is a carousel. Use Next and Previous buttons to navigate
NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) — Police say a Kenyan lawyer facing charges at the International Criminal Court of bribing and threatening prosecution witnesses in a past ICC case against Kenya's recently elected president has been found dead.
Paul Gicheru had pleaded not guilty earlier this year to all eight counts of interfering with witnesses in the case against William Ruto, who had been charged with involvement in violence after Kenya's 2007 election that left more than 1,000 people dead.
A police report seen by The Associated Press said the family of the 50-year-old Gicheru found him unconscious at his home Monday night. "The body was found lying on the back, clean, casually dressed and no saliva or blood on any body opening," the report says, noting that "the deceased is a known diabetic and high blood pressure patient."
The police report noted that Gicheru’s 20-year-old son, who told his mother that Gicheru "had taken something,” was later found with "froth" coming from his mouth and difficulty breathing. He was in stable condition at a local hospital, the report said. It was not clear what happened.
In comments to reporters, family lawyer John Khaminwa said the family had described Gicheru as stressed in the hours before his death. "He was not himself," Khaminwa said. The family intends to bring in pathologists to "look at his internal organs and other things," he said.
The Kenya Human Rights Commission said it was "concerned with the shocking news of the untimely death" and urged a swift and conclusive investigation.
The charges against Ruto and others, including previous President Uhuru Kenyatta, were dropped in 2016 when the case fell apart amid allegations of witness interference. Ruto denied the allegations against him. The court's decision to drop the case specified that it did "not preclude new prosecution in the future."
Ruto was chairing his first Cabinet meeting on Tuesday after being sworn in on Sept. 13 following a narrow election win.
ICC spokesman Fadi El Abdallah said he could not comment on Gicheru’s case but only on the procedure to be followed: "If there is information about the death of an accused, a confirmation of this information should be submitted to the (trial) chamber and then the chamber issues a decision ending the case."
Judges are currently considering their verdicts in the case. No date had been set for a hearing to deliver the judgment.
Associated Press writer Mike Corder in The Hague, Netherlands, contributed.
- Who gains from Kenya's ICC cases?
- Victorian COVID cases hit new high as state makes cuts to elective surgeries
- South Korea’s New President Calls for Criminal Investigation of Past Government
- Kevin Cooper case: Could new developments help death row inmate's bid for freedom?
- Former AG's 'admission' of owing Sulu heirs money a damaging blow, says Sabah lawyer
- Morning Digest | Droupadi Murmu elected 15th President of India; Troops raid Sri Lanka’s main protest site, and more
- Najib appoints new lawyers for SRC case and seeks postponement
- ED arrests Sanjay Raut in money laundering case
- Tech CEO Arrested in 1992 Mountain View Cold Case Slaying After DNA Breakthrough
- Central team rushed as Kerala reports first monkeypox case
- Patra Chawl Land Scam: Sanjay Raut Detained | All You Need to About Redevelopment Project, ED Case
- What's Patra Chawl Land Scam Case That Led to Shiv Sena Leader Sanjay Raut's Arrest? News18 Explains
- African Union accuses ICC of 'hunting' Africans
- Kenyatta and Ruto to face ICC trial over Kenya violence
- Philippines' Ex-Prez Duterte, Who Incited Violence, Shot Dead Suspects Without Trial, Ends Term, Likely To Go Scot-Free
- In Kenya trial, ICC as much in the dock as defendants
- Bongbong Marcos to be consulted on ICC drug war probe
- A New Explanation for the COVID Crime Wave
- Africa's Fatou Bensouda is new ICC chief prosecutor
- Marcos Jr says 'no intention' to rejoin ICC
Kenyan lawyer in ICC case linked to new president found dead have 651 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at September 27, 2022. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.