Paris ● Wed, September 28 2022
Governments around the world must scale up climate action “or face further legal action”, an open letter from campaign groups warned Tuesday, as battles over policies to cut emissions and protect the environment are increasingly fought in the courts.
From legal efforts to steer governments to do more to curb fossil fuel pollution, to court action over companies’ misleading green claims, the number, scope and ambitions of climate litigation is expanding, say experts, with an increasing number of cases are being launched against governments.
And that will continue if they do not use the upcoming United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP) meeting in Egypt to substantially enhance their climate action, according to an open letter signed by lawyers from more than 20 organizations around the world.
to Read Full Story
- Unlimited access to our web and app content
- e-Post daily digital newspaper
- No advertisements, no interruptions
- Privileged access to our events and programs
- Subscription to our newsletters
Or let Google manage your subscription
- Indian climate activist Archana Soreng named by UN chief to new advisory group
- Biden's climate plan won praise from progressives. Now he needs their votes.
- U.N. chief invites young climate activists to meet, give input
- Indian among 7 youth leaders to invigorate UN's climate plans
- Exclusive–Burnett: Paris Climate Participants Miss Targets While U.S. Reduces Its Emissions
- Bhumi Pednekar Joins Hands with Child Climate Activist Licypriya Kangujam
- Gujarat govt reluctant to preserve mangroves: activist
- Extinction Rebellion activists launch UK Beyond Politics party by stealing food
- Student files first climate change lawsuit against Australian govt
- Record 212 environmental activists killed in 2019, says watchdog
- Two-thirds of Americans want Obama to act on climate change, says poll
- Recession 'threatens UK effort to tackle global warming'
- Green activists occupy land set aside for opencast coal mine
- Recovery must take into account the climate crisis
- Coastal flooding will rise by up to 50 per cent due to climate change over the next 80 years and cost the global economy more than £10 TRILLION, study warns
- Vietnamese Government plan aims to improve adaptation to climate change
- Climate change on track to wipe out polar bears by end of century, study warns
- EXCLUSIVE: ABC cuts ties with Meghan Markle's best friend Jessica Mulroney over race row with black influencer who she threatened to sue and told 'you think your voice matters'
- Covington Catholic teen's lawyer threatens to take CNN and the Washington Post to court AGAIN after journalists including Brian Stetler tweeted speculation about the settlement in his $250M lawsuit
- Obama warns that Trump's actions threaten US democracy
Activists threaten govts over climate action have 431 words, post on www.thejakartapost.com at September 28, 2022. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.