This year's US Open will award a record $60.1 million in total player compensation, the US Tennis Association said on Thursday, with $2.6 million going to each singles champion, twice the runner-up total.
The prize money total tops the old mark of $57.5 million from last year, with an emphasis on boosting payouts for players in early rounds.
That means a boost to $80,000 for each singles competitor in the main draw first round and $121,000 in the second round.
Those figures represent hikes of 85% and 57% respectively since 2016.
The USTA arrived at the figures after consultation with the WTA and ATP Player Councils.
There will be more than $6.25 million distributed in qualifying rounds.
Doubles champions will be paid $688,000 per team, twice what the runner-up duo will receive.
Main draw matches for the year's final Grand Slam event on the New York hardcourts will begin on August 29.
- News Tennis: Wimbledon prize money rises 11.8 percent
- New French Open court unveiled as prize money increases
- Rapinoe slams FIFA over schedule, prize money
- Prize money in women's golf nothing to complain about
- FIFA to upgrade flights and prize money for Women’s Cup in France next year
- Australia players union demands World Cup prize-money parity
- Chinese football fan’s World Cup winning bet turns sour after someone else claimed her prize money
- Surfing: US teen Marks first to benefit from WSL equal prize money drive
- Feds offer $30 million in prize money in bid to help Indigenous housing crisis
- Novak Djokovic has overtaken Roger Federer for total career earnings with a staggering $119.1 million in prize money
- Chirag Shetty-Satwiksairaj Rankireddy win $27,650 in prize money
- News $60 million in virtual currency hacked in Japan
- Tottenham post world-record 113 million pounds profit
- Toronto Star Grassy Narrows investigation awarded 2018 Canadian Hillman Prize for journalism
- Prize money for women’s British Open raised by 40%
- Post-scandal Academy to award two Nobel Literature Prizes
- 2 lucky punters in Yishun share $13.6m Toto Hongbao prize money
- Bianca Pagdanganan on returning her prize money and turning pro
- The 60 million Baht scam. Police make arrests in Bangkok.
- Raging 'Fortnite' eSport game gets US$100 million (RM 397.20 million) prize pool
US Open to Award Record $60.1 Million in Prize Money have 355 words, post on www.news18.com at August 19, 2022. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.