Putrajaya, Malaysia ● Fri, August 19 2022
Malaysia’s top court on Thursday began hearing ex-leader Najib Razak’s appeal to overturn his prison sentence for corruption in a high-stakes legal gambit that could see him locked up or potentially launching a political comeback.
The Federal Court on Tuesday dismissed the former prime minister’s plea for a retrial, clearing the way for the hearings, which will be held until Aug. 26.
But as the hearing started, lead defense lawyer Hisyam Teh Poh Teik surprised the court by telling the panel of five judges that he wanted to be discharged from the case, sending the tribunal into a recess.
to Read Full Story
- Unlimited access to our web and app content
- e-Post daily digital newspaper
- No advertisements, no interruptions
- Privileged access to our events and programs
- Subscription to our newsletters
Or let Google manage your subscription
- Is Prison Necessary? Ruth Wilson Gilmore Might Change Your Mind
- Hong Kong protest leader Joshua Wong released from prison
- Would You Let the Man Who Killed Your Sister Out of Prison?
- Trump Jr. glad Senate testimony 'is finally over'
- Ciminelli appeals conviction in Buffalo Billion bid-rigging case
- Mistrial declared in sentencing of David Temple
- Mueller's finally done. Here's how his probe lives on.
- California Tried to Fix Its Prisons. Now Its County Jails Are More Deadly.
- Maya Moore Left Basketball. A Prisoner Needed Her Help.
- Free after the longest ever US pot sentence
- Disgraced NFL star loses bid to undo plea deal in rape case
- Cartel kingpin ‘El Chapo’ sentenced to life in prison
- Louisiana ‘heartbeat’ abortion bill nears final passage
- People in Prison Are Way More Likely to Have Dyslexia. The Justice System Sets Them Up to Fail.
- Bonnie Craig's killer sentenced to 124 years in prison
- Women join Michigan prison Braille transcribers
- What Democrats Get Wrong About Prison Reform
- Release of Mueller report finally sets Trump — and America — free
- Final suspect in Burlington shooting faces judge at hospital hearing
- Massachusetts cop gets 2 months in federal prison in OT scandal
Najib starts final bid to overturn 1MDB prison sentence have 344 words, post on www.thejakartapost.com at August 19, 2022. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.