– ● Fri, August 19 2022
Myanmar’s military leadership on Wednesday lashed out at ASEAN for excluding its generals from regional gatherings, accusing it of caving to “external pressure”.
Members of ASEAN have heaped condemnation on Myanmar’s junta, which they say has failed to make concrete progress on a peace plan agreed with the 10-nation bloc last year, including engaging with opponents and a cessation of hostilities.
Myanmar’s military seized power from an elected government in a coup last year, and has since then crushed dissent with lethal force. Most recently, the junta has been criticized for executing political activists and imprisoning Aung San Suu Kyi, the symbol of Myanmar’s opposition and democracy movement.
to Read Full Story
- Unlimited access to our web and app content
- e-Post daily digital newspaper
- No advertisements, no interruptions
- Privileged access to our events and programs
- Subscription to our newsletters
Or let Google manage your subscription
- EU seeks closer ties with Myanmar and ASEAN in disaster relief
- Myanmar's new parliament meets for first time
- ASEAN summit underway in Phnom Penh
- Tackling Sour EU-ASEAN Relations
- Memo to China, US: Stay out of ASEAN's business
- Obama to take 'broad and long view' of democracy in Myanmar
- Myanmar, North Korea dominate ASEAN agenda
- Kerry seeking common ground within a divided ASEAN
- Economic highs and humanitarian lows at ASEAN conference
- Myanmar gets to chair ASEAN despite rampant rights abuses
- Myanmar releases more election rules
- EU, ASEAN Seek to Improve Ties at Talks
- Myanmar's Rohingya conflict 'more economic than religious'
- Call to lift sanctions against Myanmar sparks controversy
- ASEAN rights declaration meets with opposition
- ASEAN's economic integration plan at stake
- ASEAN calls for closer currency cooperation
- Southeast Asian nations call for Europe, US to lift Myanmar sanctions
- ASEAN and China agree on South China guidelines
- Malaysia slams Myanmar over Rohingya 'genocide'
Myanmar slams ASEAN after being barred from meetings have 305 words, post on www.thejakartapost.com at August 19, 2022. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.