India at 75
The issue dated August 15, with the page of 1947 in black and white and in a vintage font, made one feel both proud and nostalgic. It is remarkable that our freedom fighters achieved the goal of Independence. The memories of their sacrifices must remain evergreen.
The issue dated August 15, 2022, dedicated to India's 75th year of Independence, was inspiring in many ways. It had enlightening articles by eminent writers, a rare photograph or two such as 'The Second Round Table Conference in 1931', and importantly, the facsimile of the iconic page of August 15, 1947. The day was also special as a close relative, who was a freedom fighter, and aged 104, was invited to unfurl the tricolour flag at a function in Chennai.
I am 76-plus and the special edition was a delight. The front page was a surprise. I was able to retrieve a copy of the full issue of The Hindu (August 15, 1947) preserved at home — it is in a poor state — and was able to go through the issue carefully.
The reprint from 1947 and articles by luminaries were fresh air. I congratulate the daily for maintaining its chequered tradition.
J. Anantha Padmanabhan,
Tiruchi, Tamil Nadu
The article by former Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh was insightful. The balanced view on the state of present-day affairs is worth pondering over.
It was disappointing to read some of the articles, especially "The temples that Jawaharlal Nehru built" (Editorial page, August 16). Why was there so much of 'Nehru worship'? There are quite a few events and developments that occurred much after the passing of Nehru such as economic liberalisation and the digital revolution. Why this focus and on the Congress's viewpoint on a momentous occasion?
S. Sudhir Kumar,
- Save the Date: Help Clear the Shelters on August 17
- Mighty Quinn: August 17
- Letters to the Editor: Sept. 17, 2017
- Voice of the People for August 17, 2008
- Upcoming casino events for the week of August 17-23
- Voice of the People for August 17, 2009
- Traffic forecast for August 17, 2010
- The Battle of Saratoga: August 17
- Railway will connect country from Kashmir to Kanyakumari before August, 2022: Piyush Goyal
- Railway will connect country from Kashmir to Kanyakumari before Aug, 2022: Piyush Goyal
- B-17 crash probe: ‘Something went wrong on final approach’
- Letters: “Of course it’s partisan”; Where is Hunter Biden?; Wrong call on bus incident; What is the connection?; Other lesson to be learned (10/3/19)
- Letter to the editor: NBC’s Jeffrey Epstein report biased
- Letter to the editor: America has done well by our planet
- Letter to the editor: What will Dems try to pin on Trump next?
- Auntie Maxine's GOP Opponent to Speak With FBI After Tweeting Most Racist Fake Letter Ever
- Read Roald Dahl's Powerful Pro-Vaccination Letter (From 1988)
- August adds new color, connect bridge bundle to smart lock options
- So Long, Lenny Letter
- Dead Letters: "BITCH YOURE NOT FUNNY AT ALL"
Letters to the Editor — August 17, 2022 have 484 words, post on www.thehindu.com at August 17, 2022. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.