The average inhabitant of Slovakia last year drank ‘just’ 120 large beers, a 30-year low, the Slovak Statistics Office reported on August 5, which happens to mark International Beer Day.
Every Slovak thus drank an average of 60.2 litres of beer in 2021, which is 17 half-litre servings (or 15 pints) fewer than in 2020. The 12-percent year-on-year drop in beer consumption was due to the pandemic, according to the Statistics Office.
Prior to the pandemic, consumption of beer had been recording a slow increase after 25 years of consistent falls since 1990, which the statisticians say was a record year. Back in 1990, Slovakia consumed 96 litres of beer per person (children are included in the calculation, but hopefully not in the consumption). In the years prior to the pandemic, consumption hovered around 70 litres a year.
“A drop of more than 10 percent has only occurred twice in the last 30 years: after the onset of the financial crisis in 2010 and then last year, the second year that society struggled with the Covid pandemic,” Róbert Vlačuha, head of quality of life statistics at the Statistics Office, said.
Slovakia’s neighbour the Czech Republic traditionally tops Europe’s beer consumption rankings. In 2020, it ranked first at 135 litres of beer per capita, followed by Austria at 100 litres and Germany at 95 litres, according to data from statista.com, as quoted by the Statistics Office. Slovakia came in tenth in the 2020 ranking.
Europe’s least enthusiastic beer drinkers are in Greece (28 litres per person per year), Italy (31 litres) and France (33 litres).
- China's growth to hit 30-year low; more government support seen - Reuters poll
- Drinking hits 30-year high in the US: The average American has 500 drinks a YEAR - rivaling pre-Prohibition partying despite declines in wine consumption and teen boozing
- China's economic growth hits 30-year low
- Interest rate cut ‘likely’ as inflation hits three year low
- At 6.1%, China's growth hits 29-year low
- Los Angeles On-Location Production Hit 5-Year Low In 2019
- China's economic growth set to slow to 30-year low this year; more government support seen: Reuters poll
- Crude oil futures steady at Rs 4,165 after China economy grows at 30-year low
- Instant View: China's economic growth slows to 6.1% in 2019, near 30-year low
- S.Korea's real GDP growth hits 10-year low in 2019
- Work MORE, get paid the SAME: Why you won't be getting a raise any time soon - as dire economic forecast shows confidence in a 'crater', retail at a 30-year low and major industries shrinking the fastest since the GFC
- Julie Burchill reveals she quit cocaine 'overnight' after taking it 'daily' for 30 years – and insists using it has caused her ‘no lasting damage’
- Uber and Lyft both hit all-time lows and continue to struggle since their IPOs
- Murderer serving 30 years for brutal killing of innocent man releases rap album titled Exit Wounds from behind bars at top security prison
- Koalas could be EXTINCT in 30 years because of horror bushfires - as experts blame Australia for 'sleepwalking to this catastrophe'
- We have lost 2.6MILLION reindeer in less than 30 years. And with climate change, hunting and disease Santa's helpers are in danger of being wiped out altogether
- Metallica Talk 30 Years of ‘Master of Puppets’: ‘We Were Just Kids’
- NFL owners approve 30-year lease for Raiders' Las Vegas stadium
- Stock market update: 30 stocks hit 52-week lows on NSE
- Stock market update: 19 stocks hit 52-week lows on NSE
Have Slovaks had enough? Beer drinking hits 30-year low have 583 words, post on spectator.sme.sk at August 5, 2022. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.