Four members of one family died after being trapped in a house fire in a densely populated residential area in Medan Belawan district in Medan, North Sumatra, on Thursday, local authorities have reported.
Two other family members were also injured in the fire that started at around 5 a.m. on Jl. Cilacap and which took an hour to bring under control.
Medan Fire Agency chief Albon Sidauruk said the victims were a middle-aged couple, one of their parents and a teenage child.
Albon suspected that the victims were unable to save themselves because the house door was locked and they could not find the key.
"According to a preliminary report, one of the family members was cooking before the fire. We suspect a gas leak was the cause [of the fire]," he said.
North Sumatra Police's forensic laboratory staff are investigating the case.
- 6 die in Gaya house collapse, three swept away in Nawada
- Woman left to die in 'disgusting' house
- Bill to increase fine for misusing animal traps passes House
- A man in St. Hyacinthe died after being trapped under a machine at work
- Police share safety tips after elderly man dies in house fire
- Brother and sister, 4, die in house fire
- Press aide who mocked McCain is out at the White House
- Child unaccounted for in Elyria house fire, report says
- We’ll make affordable housing available to Ondo residents, says Akeredolu
- Hundreds are still trapped from Florence's flooding, and 'the worst is still yet to come'
- 'We are the forgotten people': It's been almost six months since Hurricane Maria, and Puerto Ricans are still dying
- Thai cave rescue: First of the trapped boys emerge
- An American Zen Master has died: An oral history of Roshi Bernie Glassman
- Thai rescue: Divers start mission to free boys trapped in cave
- Former Thai Navy diver dies while helping rescue 12 boys, coach trapped in cave
- How did the Thailand soccer team get trapped inside a cave?
- Indonesia volcano: Hundreds of hikers trapped after earthquake
- Thai rescuer dies during mission to save trapped boys
- FIFA to Trapped Thai Soccer Team: Come to the World Cup Final If You're out in Time
- Maureen O'Hara of 'Miracle on 34th Street' dies at 95
Four die after being trapped in Medan house fire have 375 words, post on www.thejakartapost.com at August 9, 2022. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.