August 10, 2022 12:52
Daily new COVID cases have reached 150,000 as more people mingle during the peak summer holiday season.
On Tuesday morning new infections stood at 149,897, the first time in 117 days that the daily tally surpassed 140,000. The figure further rose to 151,792 on Wednesday morning, while severe cases and deaths also rose to 402 and 50.
There is plausible speculation that the pandemic will plateau above 100,000 for some time.
The risk of reinfection is also growing amid the spread of the BA.5 variant, which seems to be resistant to vaccines.
In July, the weekly reinfection rate was estimated at 6.59 percent in the third week and 5.43 percent in the fourth week, up from 3.71 percent in the second week.
- Copyright © Chosunilbo & Chosun.com
- Vietnam confirms third Covid-19 infection in a day
- Three in four American hospitals are already treating COVID-19 patients - 10 days ahead of a projected peak
- Spain registers lowest daily death toll from COVID-19 in 17 days
- 25 districts in 15 states stave off Covid-19 for 14 days
- COVID-19 | Coming 10 days crucial: Eatala Rajender
- Coronavirus: Cambridge University laboratory will handle up to 30,000 COVID-19 tests a day
- Covid-19 and 100 days that transformed the world: the 17 April edition of the Guardian Weekly
- Maharashtra's Covid fight began on wrong footing, say officials
- Israel Inks $25 Mln Deal With China to Buy Advanced Equipment for COVID-19 Testing - Report
- Coronavirus Australia: ‘Long tail’ of COVID-19 may mean we have to live with virus for months
- Why the true COVID-19 death toll in NYC could be much higher: Only those tested BEFORE they die are counted as virus victims, says Big Apple councilman, as the city records 3,400 fatalities
- This is how we conquer Covid-19
- Less testing, delayed screening led to Maharashtra’s Covid-19 toll: Experts
- Covid-19 in India: Rising infections among medical staff raise preparedness concerns
- Kerala reports just two fresh coronavirus cases, 36 recover in a single day
- Coronavirus update: China didn’t warn public of likely pandemic for 6 key days
- Italy sees fewer than 3,000 new coronavirus infections for the first time in a month as the country begins loosening its lockdown restrictions
- In coming days, you will see a scaling up of testing capacity for Covid-19 across the country: Union health minister
- Breathing is ‘precious,’ says Hanoi nurse after Covid-19 experience
- Hanoi confirms new Covid-19 infection linked to major hospital
COVID Infections Soar to over 150,000 a Day have 423 words, post on english.chosun.com at August 10, 2022. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.