Shane MacGowan has led tributes to fellow The Pogues bandmember Darryl Hunt, who has died aged 72.
The punk group tweeted to say they were “saddened beyond words” to share that Hunt, the band’s bassist, had died on Monday afternoon in London.
They posted a black and white photo of Hunt holding a guitar case and paid tribute by quoting the lyrics to their song Love You ‘Till The End, which Hunt wrote.
“I know you want to hear me catch my breath / I love you till the end,” the quote said.
In his own tribute, frontman MacGowan described Hunt as a “great friend and a great bass player”.
“I am very very sorry that Darryl has passed on, he was a really nice guy and a great friend and a great bass player,” he tweeted.
“We will all miss him.
“May he have a happy state of eternal bliss and bless his family and friends, love Shane.”
Fellow bandmate Spider Stacy also paid tribute on Twitter, writing: “This is wretched. See you around the way, Daz. ‘It’s in the fridge’ #TrickyTrees.”
Hunt was born in Hampshire on 4 May, 1950.
Before he began playing bass in The Pogues in 1986, the musician and songwriter was part of the pub rock band Plummet Airlines and The Favourites.
He was involved in the Celtic-inspired band’s subsequent work including their 1988 album If I Should Fall From Grace With God, which featured the Christmas hit Fairytale Of New York.
Hunt featured in their material until their last album, Pogue Mahone, in 1996.
He has writing credits on several songs including Love You ‘Till The End.
- Labour MP Paul Flynn dies aged 84
- Revered Israeli writer Amoz Oz dies aged 79
- Actress Dame June Whitfield has died aged 93
- Navy's tribute to "passionate" Plymouth rugby player who died aged 33
- Colin Kroll dead: HQ Trivia and Vine founder dies aged 34
- Last real-life Great Escape survivor Richard 'Dick' Churchill dies aged 99
- Heartbreaking tribute to young footballer who died suddenly on Valentine's Day
- Humanitarian and founder of CLIC Bob Woodward dies aged 85
- Shock and sadness as popular homeless Hull man dies aged just 37
- Tributes paid after legendary Man Utd coach Eric Harrison dies aged 81
- Hugh McIlvanney, respected sports writer, dies aged 84
- Man known as 'dog whisperer' dies, aged 83
- Veteran sports journalist Hugh McIlvanney dies aged 84
- Former Lib Dem leader Paddy Ashdown dies aged 77
- June Whitfield dead at 93: Jennifer Saunders, Joanna Lumley and Jessie Wallace pay tribute to late actress
- Madonna shares tribute to her Penny Marshall
- David Beckham leads tributes as Class of 92 coach Eric Harrison dies
- ROGER LEWIS pays tribute to Dame June Whitfield
- Tributes after last survivor of World War II's Great Escape dies aged 99
- Comedian Kevin Barnett dies aged 32
'A great friend and a great bass player': Tributes for The Pogues' bassist Darryl Hunt who has died aged 72 have 521 words, post on news.sky.com at August 10, 2022. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.