Leeds, United Kingdom ● Sat, July 2 2022
Conservatism has become a recurring theme in Indonesian public discourse. A couple of days ago, Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan revoked the business permits for 12 Holywings outlets following the "Muhammad-Maria" controversy.
This decision was not a political surprise. In recent years, there has been a growing invocation of conservatism through religious symbols, particularly those of Islam, which is constantly maintained to appeal to the Muslim community as the biggest portion of potential voters in any election.
In this sense, we must view the act of Governor Anies as not only a sign of a belated state response but also a worrying trend in the persistent rise of conservative politics at the heart of the nation. More alarmingly, the issue of revoking the business permits has been conflated with the religious mission and a sacred war against a demonic business.
to Read Full Story
- Unlimited access to our web and app content
- e-Post daily digital newspaper
- No advertisements, no interruptions
- Privileged access to our events and programs
- Subscription to our newsletters
Or let Google manage your subscription
- Kamala Harris mixing idealism, political savvy
- Fiscal Hawks No More: The GOP Shift To Common Good Conservatism Has Begun | Opinion
- 'Trumpification' of the GOP will persist
- Constitutional or party-political secularism?
- Judge's Decision in Assange Case 'Casts a Shadow Over Investigative Journalism', Critics Warn
- Appeals court upholds bribery conviction for Chinese think tank official with ties to Hunter Biden
- Inside the crazy court of Queen Carrie: Boris's fiancee tried to stop Covid meeting so he would battle fake story about her DOG - then he broke rules to appoint new PR Allegra in case lover went 'effing crackers'
- Porn star beaten for bisexuality, political beliefs wins refugee appeal
- LUTH worries over increasing severe cases of covid-19
- Sister Abhaya case | Priest, nun, and the murder of a witness
- Moment Reading knifeman bought weapon he used to kill three - as photo emerges of him holding Kalashnikov and video shows police visiting him day before the attack
- Hans von Spakovsky: Can Biden AG nominee Merrick Garland run Justice Department without political bias?
- Clues about post-Trump politics await in Georgia
- How Could Georgia Runoff Race Outcomes Affect Joe Biden’s Political Agenda?
- Science-fiction in 2021: the films, TV shows and books you should know about
- Party leader emphasises thorough preparations for 13th National Party Congress
- Williamson wrong to force universities to abide by antisemitism definition, say lawyers
- Presidency in Review: Which Campaign Promises Did Trump Uphold?
- In majority-Black Georgia county, voting in Senate runoffs is more about fight to vote than right to vote
- Prediction: 150K Coronavirus-Related Deaths in Next Month
Holywings case shows political appeal of conservatism persists have 449 words, post on www.thejakartapost.com at July 2, 2022. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.