The North East Cyber Crime Police on Saturday arrested a 32-year-old labourer from Raichur who had cheated a retired government servant on the pretext of helping him withdraw money from the ATM. The accused, Mallinath Angadi, took the senior citizen's debit card and handed over a duplicate card while retaining the original card.
M.G. Ramakrishne Gowda, who went to generate the PIN for his newly issued debit card at the Canara bank ATM in Yelahanka New Town on May 21, was helped by an unidentified person who also helped him withdraw ₹40,000. Mr. Gowda returned home with the card handed over by the unidentified person and retuned to the ATM on June 13 to know that the entire saving of ₹8.5 lakh had been withdrawn and the debit card he had with him was fake.
Based on the complaint, the police tracked down the accused by analysing footage from over hundred of CCTV cameras and arrested Mallinath, a native of Raichur and resident of Attur layout, and recovered 75 gram of gold valuables and a mobile phone from him.
According to the police, Mallinath used to target uneducated and senior citizen visiting ATMs and offered to help them withdraw money or change the PIN. He would divert their attention and handover the fake debit cards while retaining the original cards with him. Since he was familiar with the PIN numbers, the accused used the cards to withdraw and spend the money lavishly, a senior police official said. Mallinath has been booked for cheating and under various sections of Information Technology Act, 2000.
The police have advised people not to take help from strangers at the ATM kiosks and to strictly not share the PIN or debit card details with unknown persons. People visiting the ATM should check for the suspicious objects installed at the ATM machine and ensure the safety of debit cards at the crowded places.
- The Latest: Moldova arrests 2 trying to head to France
- The Latest: French police arrest 25 more people overnight
- Michigan’s Frank Clark dismissed after arrest on domestic violence charge
- Ottawa police arrest man after hotel evacuation
- Ex-husband of Olympic gymnast Shannon Miller arrested in toxic chemical link
- Bengals, Maualuga secure with one another
- Ex-Cleveland Brown charged for using charity money to pay gambling debts, lying to FBI
- The Latest: Paris man writes letter to his wife’s killers
- The Latest: Belgian minister can’t confirm main suspect died
- The Latest: Russia circulates UN resolution draft on IS
- The Latest: Interior Ministry condemns inter-faith violence
- The Latest: UN resolutions to address Islamic State
- The Latest: Video of restaurant shooting posted online
- The Latest: Identities of 2 killed in Paris raid unclear
- The Latest: 2 Paris climate talks marches banned
- The Latest: France backs away from raid suicide bomber claim
- The Latest: Police ban public demonstrations in Paris
- The Latest: Swedish police search for terror suspect
- The Latest: Paris prosecutor: Terror cell was ready to act
- The Latest: Prosecutor: Police fired 5,000 rounds in raid
Conman arrested for duping senior citizen at ATM have 474 words, post on www.thehindu.com at July 3, 2022. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.