HARARE, June 27 (Xinhua) — Zimbabwe will import maize from neighboring Zambia and Malawi and wheat from cheaper source markets to avert shortages and price increases, Finance Minister Mthuli Ncube said Monday.
Addressing a press conference, Ncube said there was a looming shortage of maize meal and flour in the market which needs to be averted through quick importation of the grain.
“Government has noted that there is a looming shortage of maize meal and flour in the market which has resulted in the sharp increase of the price of bread and mealie-meal to levels which the ordinary citizens cannot afford.
“Whilst the levels of our Strategic Grain Reserve are relatively below ideal levels, there is, nevertheless, an urgent need for the government to intervene to bring stability in the price and supply of maize meal and bread flour in the economy.
“Given the envisaged shortfall of both maize and wheat during the current season, the government will expedite the importation of maize available in Malawi and Zambia, while wheat will be sourced from cheaper source markets,” Ncube said.
Zimbabwe’s maize harvest declined to 1.8 million tonnes in the 2021/22 season from 2.7 million tonnes in the 2020/2021 season due to erratic rainfall. This year’s maize output is 400,000 tonnes short of the yearly national requirement of 2.2 million tonnes.
- Myths About Zimbabwe's Land Reform
- Complex Carbohydrates and Avoiding Sugar - Still the Health Protectors?
- Investing In A Developing Economy - A Possible Solution To Global Financial Crisis
- Obama Or McCain For Gross National Happiness?
- African Safari Deals & Vacation Packages
- Ultimate Wildlife Safari Vacations in Africa
- What You Should Know About Popular Diets - A Gluten-Free Diet
- Vegetarian Diets and Recipes
- Introduction to the Soft Markets
- The Geopolitics of Food
- African Safari Tips - 8 Things to Consider For a Safari!
- Cooking With Beans - Making the Most of a Versatile Resource
- A Celiac Disease Diet - The Only Way to Fight Celiac Disease
- Feeding Fish in Freshwater Aquariums - Which Type of Food?
- Red, Amber and Greener Cars
- What to Eat to Gain Muscle Mass - Some Great Foods to Gain Muscle
- India-China buy buy
- Mopping Up Our Comfort Zones
- EyeClops BioniCam Review - One of the Best Toys of 2008
- The Celebrity Diary Workout
Zimbabwe to import maize from Zambia, Malawi to plug grain shortfall have 355 words, post on www.thestar.com.my at June 28, 2022. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.