ISKANDAR PUTERI: Teachers in Johor have voiced support for the move to change state weekend rest days from the present Friday and Saturday.
Most of the 44,290 teachers in the state had lauded Mentri Besar Datuk Onn Hafiz Ghazi's announcement about reviewing the rest days to Saturday and Sunday, said Johor Education, Information and Communications Committee chairman Norlizah Noh ( pic ).
"When I visited the schools after the announcement, many teachers expressed support for the review because they said having Sunday as a school day has affected the students' attendance.
"According to these primary and secondary school teachers, students had been skipping classes on Sundays and this was more apparent following the movement restrictions imposed to curb the Covid-19 pandemic.
"They said this was especially so during long weekends or public holidays; the classes would be empty," she told reporters after the state assembly sitting yesterday.
Last week, Onn Hafiz said the state government was looking at the possibility of reviewing its rest days following public feedback about the different rest days adopted by the government and private bodies in Johor.
The change of weekend to Friday and Saturday from Saturday and Sunday was implemented in Johor on Jan 1, 2014.
Norlizah said yesterday that the rest day review should involve all levels of society including schools to ensure that the outcome was beneficial to all.
"However, I hope that any changes will not be implemented this year to avoid any inconvenience as the school calendar has been set for the rest of the year," added Norlizah.
During the state assembly sitting, Ee Chin Li (PH-Tangkak) also raised a similar issue, saying that a non-governmental organisation conducted a survey in 2016 regarding the Friday-Saturday weekend in Johor.
"The survey involved about 30,000 respondents and it showed 95.7% of them supported the change of rest days to Saturday and Sunday. The study was also referred to by the Mentri Besar's office in the same year," he said.
Ee said a recent online petition to change the rest days had also collected 54,723 signatures as at 9am yesterday.
He hoped the state government would announce the outcome of its rest day review soon.
- Philadelphia Weather: City Officials Issue Snow Emergency For Sunday Morning As Another Snowstorm Approaches
- Frozen Britain: Two more days of extreme weather are on the way as country goes into the deep freeze after temperatures plunged to minus 23C in Braemar on coldest night in 25 years
- 2020 Sunday Star-Times short story competition open category, second runner-up: Bigger Fish To Fry
- The First 13 Days
- Authorities check air quality at 85 Pasir Gudang schools, cause of pollution still unknown
- FMIA Super Bowl LV: Strange Season, Normal Result—Tom Brady Wins His Seventh Title, Leads Bucs Over Chiefs
- Ioan Gruffudd's wife Alice Evans confirms the estranged couple are 'discussing legal separation' but are 'still friends'... as actress declares she raised their children 'alone' for 'half their lives'
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by TikTok - Senate trial of Trump to dominate this week
- States are looking to help their vulnerable communities as vaccine distribution ramps up
- Trump World stunned by move to call witnesses
- Full transcript of "Face the Nation" on February 7, 2021
- "Teary" Charles drove 200 mile round trip for 30 minute visit to father in hospital
- LIVE COVERAGE: Democrats conclude case against Trump
- Coping in South Africa: The Capetown to Swaziland Blues
- COVID-19: Some students to be allowed to go back to school from May 19 under easing of circuit breaker
- Release of Kagara boys good, but.. — Danjuma, NAPTAN boss
- 66 new COVID-19 cases in Singapore; 2 new clusters at Little Gems Preschool and Kranji Lodge
- FMIA: New Insight On NFL’s 17-Game Schedule. Plus The Story Of One QB’s Quick (Door) Dash To Top 5 Prospect
- Emotional roller-coaster weekend for Mandy Moore whose cat died before her wedding
- All the Shows and Movies Streaming Now on Paramount+
Teachers all for Saturday-Sunday rest days have 630 words, post on www.thestar.com.my at June 23, 2022. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.