Sharan, Afghanistan ● Fri, June 24 2022
Desperate rescuers battled against the clock and heavy rain on Thursday to reach cut-off areas in eastern Afghanistan after a powerful earthquake killed at least 1,000 people and left thousands more homeless.
Wednesday’s 5.9-magnitude quake struck hardest in the rugged east, downing mobile phone towers and power lines while triggering rock and mudslides that blocked mountain roads.
“Getting information from the ground is very difficult because of bad networks,” Mohammad Amin Huzaifa, head of information for the badly hit Paktika province, told AFP on Thursday, adding there was no immediate update to the death toll.
to Read Full Story
- Unlimited access to our web and app content
- e-Post daily digital newspaper
- No advertisements, no interruptions
- Privileged access to our events and programs
- Subscription to our newsletters
Or let Google manage your subscription
- Turkey earthquake live – 7.0 magnitude quake triggers tsunami and destroys buildings in Izmir near Greek island Samos
- Turkey, Greece reel from strong quake
- Trapped Toddler Rescued from Rubble of Collapsed Building 3 Days after Turkey's Earthquake
- Pride of Britain 2020 winners - from inspirational pensioners to brave children
- VIETNAM NEWS NOVEMBER 2
- Little girl rescued from rubble after 65 hours in Turkey as earthquake death toll hits 91
- Brother of tragic migrant father who died crossing the Channel with wife and three children pleaded with them NOT to make the perilous journey – as last pictures show the family hours before they left France
- VIETNAM NEWS NOVEMBER 8 (updated hourly)
- VIETNAM NEWS NOVEMBER 10 (updated hourly)
- PICTURED: 'ISIS Beatles' Alexanda Kotey and El Shafeee Elsheikh appear in court after being indicted on charges of conspiracy to murder over torture and beheading of US hostages in Syria
- Tory humiliation as Labour gain 823 seats: Cameron says 'sorry' after defeat (but Boris looks pretty happy as he is victorious over Ken)
Rescuers scramble to reach Afghan quake survivors as foreign aid arrives have 318 words, post on www.thejakartapost.com at June 24, 2022. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.