Polestar is giving the public a glimpse of its future by showing off a development prototype of the Polestar 5 at the 2022 Goodwood Festival of Speed this week.
The all-electric grand touring sedan is the latest iteration of the Polestar Precept concept that was first unveiled in 2020.
“Polestar 5 is shaping up to be a superb 4-door GT and a true Polestar at heart,” Polestar UK head of R&D Pete Allen said in a press release. “The platform combines low-volume performance car attributes with modern technological advances to bring light-weight, high-rigidity sports car chassis technology into mass production.”
It features a lightweight aluminum chassis, with the styling of a grand touring car. Eschewing the boxy design of the Polestar 2 sedan, the 5 opts for a more rounded approach, with boomerang headlights and thin tail lights at the edges of the car.
Counterhinged “suicide” doors were featured on the Precept concept, which doesn’t seem to appear on the 5. But what appears to remain are the character lines on the sides, which dive inward towards the bottom.
The company said that the final motor setup is still in development, though the one showing up to Goodwood is a dual-motor version capable of 884 horsepower and 664 pound-feet of torque.
Not much detail was given about the interior, though a video documentary series focused on the development of the Precept concept shows a sparse white interior.
Polestar plans to launch the 5 in 2024.
The company says the vehicle will be built with an 800-volt architecture, which should allow for faster charging speeds. The 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 and the 2022 Kia EV6 utilize that architecture to charge from 10 percent to 80 percent in under 20 minutes.
“Polestar 5 is a company-defining project,” CEO Thomas Ingenlath said. “Its progressive design and advanced engineering set the tone for Polestar’s future. We have great talent on board enabling us to create truly iconic EVs.”
Also on display at Goodwood this year is a special Polestar 2, known as the BST edition 270 . The low-volume car, of which 270 will be produced, will make the hill run, showing off its track-focused tuning with two motors making 476 horsepower and 502 pound-feet of torque.
Polestar has been ramping up its profile recently, teasing the Polestar 3 SUV before its full unveiling later this year. A coupe-like SUV called the 4 is in the plans for the Swedish company, an offshoot of Volvo, which is in turn owned by Geely.
This week, the company announced that it is about to close on a deal with Gores Guggenheim to go public , with trading expected to start on Friday.
- Polestar 1 will climb the Goodwood hill next month
- Roborace Autonomous Car vs. Goodwood FOS
- Polestar 1 to Make its Goodwood Debut
- Autonomous cars come to Goodwood
- Polestar 1 Prototype to Debut at 2018 Goodwood Festival of Speed
- Polestar 1 Will Grace Goodwood Festival of Speed, Tackle Hillclimb
- Polestar 1: Carbon-fibre construction detailed
- The Home Front: Trump’s steel tariffs could ‘send costs soaring and even kill’ reopening of iconic cog rail on Pikes Peak
- History on all fronts
- The Great Ocean Road Trip
- Ethiopia: Can EPRDF Privatize Ethiopia Out of the Current Economic Conundrum?
- Corvettes for Sale: 1964 Corvette Racer For Sale
- History of power outages riles metro Detroiters, DTE promises fixes
- The Coal Industry Is Dying, and It’s Leaving Communities Like This One to Pick Up the Pieces
- Is Sergio plotting to have a starved Chrysler whacked? Looks like it to me
- Biggest summer hits on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, 1980 through today
- The 21 Best Events in Denver, May 29 Through June 4
Polestar Sends its Electric Polestar 5 Grand Tourer Up Hill at Goodwood have 564 words, post on www.newsweek.com at June 24, 2022. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.