Jakarta ● Thu, June 23, 2022
Due to its association with violence, debt collecting is arguably one of the most vilified professions. Fo rced confiscation by debt collectors is a story one often hears. T hat being said, behind the job are people trying to survive and feed their families.
Debt collection is closely associated with violence, making the job of a debt collector one of the most hated. Indeed, debt collectors can go as far as endangering others’ lives. In 2018, debt collectors in Jakarta reportedly kidnapped a 14-year-old girl because her parents had fallen behind in repaying their motorcycle credit to a finance company. Many other similar incidents involving extreme intimidation tactics by debt collectors abound.
Of course, debt collectors should never, actually, go that far. At least according to Bagus, who shared only his nickname. He said he had worked at various leasing companies for 15 years since the age of 25. At 42, the resident of Surakarta, Central Java, is now a lawyer at his own law firm.
to Read Full Story
- Unlimited access to our web and app content
- e-Post daily digital newspaper
- No advertisements, no interruptions
- Privileged access to our events and programs
- Subscription to our newsletters
- When you realize you are struggling with debt
- “I’m Doing Great”: A Black Millennial On His $100,000 Student Debt
- Is The Meaning Behind Beyonce's Music Misunderstood?
- Michael Avenatti Preps for Two Weeks of Hell: Child Support, Debts, and Abuse Allegations
- A farm family struggles to recover after rising debt pushes a husband to suicide
- Nursing debt is too much for Southern Cross to bear
- Warning about report to IRS may violate fair-debt law - 7th Circuit
- $9.6bn P&ID Judgment Debt: Nine Communities, Addax Petroleum set for battle – Investigation
- Stella Creasy calls for inquiry into FCA over Wonga and QuickQuid
- Justice Gorsuch’s First SCOTUS Opinion Is Super Boring
- India: Children grapple with the aftermath of farmer suicides
- How Tiger Woods’ ‘normal’ girlfriend healed golf’s flawed genius to achieve one of sport’s greatest ever comebacks
- Greek politician blocks German ambassador at WWII memorial
- Baffled woman is threatened with having her electricity cut off if she doesn't immediately pay $0.00 to her power company
- You could save thousands by doing these simple checks from the ultimate used car buying guide
- Mum hits back at 'hate comments' after appearing on documentary about food banks
- My Life on the Road by Gloria Steinem review – reflections of a tireless campaigner
- Inside X Factor for bare knuckle boxing where desperate fighters and baby-faced teens battle broken noses and train so hard they vomit
- ASIC set to take action against predatory lending, backed by new laws and threats of jail time
- Coronation Street fans baffled after spotting epic blunder as Sarah spies on Gary
Debt collectors: The other side of a misunderstood occupation have 499 words, post on www.thejakartapost.com at June 23, 2022. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.