Chinese battery giant CATL will start mass production next year of its latest generation product, with greater efficiency that lets electric cars drive longer distances on each charge, the company said on Thursday.
(Sign up to our Technology newsletter, Today's Cache, for insights on emerging themes at the intersection of technology, business and policy. Click here to subscribe for free.)
The world’s biggest battery maker is scrambling to retain its top position against competition from rivals such as BYD , which will soon start supplying batteries to Tesla.
CATL’s new battery, called Qilin, will boost volume utilisation rate to 72%, the world’s highest, versus 50% for its first generation launched in 2019, the firm said, and increase the battery system’s energy density to 255 Wh/kg.
But the firm did not say if any electric vehicle maker had placed orders for the new battery.
CATL, which supplies batteries supplier to automakers such as Tesla , Volkswagen, BMW and Nio suffered a fall of 24% in first-quarter net profit, hit by soaring metal costs.
In May, the company said it expected a better profit margin in the second quarter, after raising prices and passing on costs to automaking clients.
CATL sold the equivalent of 41.5 GWh of batteries in the first four months, more than double the sales of second-placed LG Energy Solution, Seoul-based SNE Research says.
As it ramps up overseas expansion, CATL is in the final stages of vetting sites in the United States to build electric vehicle batteries, Reuters has reported.
The firm, based in the city of Ningde in the southern province of Fujian, has said it would start supplying cylindrical cells to BMW from 2025 for a new series of electric vehicles.
Tesla is also ramping up output of its “4680” batteries that hold about five times the energy of the existing 2170 cells.
- Quiet Honda Generators
- Ceramic Filters Market Size likely to exceed $2.2 Billion by 2023: Global Market Insights, Inc.
- China's Energy Plan to Reduce Its Dependence Upon Coal
- God Bless China - Why You Can Make More Money In China And Australia Than The USA
- Battery Chargers; What To Look For, What To Avoid.
- Odyssey Batteries
- What is the Biggest Battery and Other Interesting Battery Facts
- Radio control helicopter- Battery facts and other tips
- Enter the Serpent - Notes on the Ascendency of China
- Part Two: Will China's Coalbed Methane Projects Make a New Energy Billionaire?
- Car Bumper Manufacturers in China
- Part One: Will China's Coalbed Methane Projects Make a New Energy Billionaire?
- Belleek Irish China Celebrates Its 150th Anniversary
- Overview Of China fashion industry
- Generators - A Guide to Purchasing
- The Potential of the Third Generation of Tech Entrepreneurs
- Generator on High Pressure Hot Water Skid Units
- Future of Energy: Biodiesel Generators
- Global Market For Cardiac Pacemaker - Industry Analysis, Strategies and Forecast 2015 - 2023
- Offshore wind energy market size is anticipated to exceed USD 130 billion by 2023.
China’s CATL to produce next-generation EV battery in 2023 have 492 words, post on www.thehindu.com at June 24, 2022. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.