Russian Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova has ended her 2022 season early due to a knee injury and will miss the upcoming French Open, last year's Roland Garros runner-up announced on Tuesday.
The 30-year-old has only played three tournaments so far this year and lost her opening match at last week's Italian Open while struggling physically.
— Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (@NastiaPav) May 17, 2022
"I'm very sad to say that I'm forced to withdraw from Roland Garros and the rest of the tournaments this year," Pavlyuchenkova wrote in a statement on Twitter.
Pavlyuchenkova reached her maiden Grand Slam final 12 months ago in Paris but lost a tight three-set match to Czech Barbora Krejcikova.
"I have been playing this in my head for the last week and it has been a really tough decision to make, as Roland Garros was always very special to me, especially after a dream run last year," she added.
The injury has seen Pavlyuchenkova slip to 21st in the WTA rankings, down from a career-high of world number 11 last November.
- Amanda Anisimova turning heads at Australian Open
- Australian Open: College princess Danielle Collins pens history as first..
- American Anisimova, 17, scores upset at Australian Open
- Australian Open: American Amanda Anisimova is youngest women remaining
- Stephens sharp in second-round win at Australian Open
- Australian Open 2019: Aryna Sabalenka beaten by teenager Amanda Anisimova
- Federer ousted on day of upsets at Austalian Open
- Australian Open: Nadal ends impressive run by Tiafoe
- St. Petersburg’s Danielle Collins reaches Australian Open semifinals
- Australian Open: Kerber, Nadal, Federer advance to third round
- St. Petersburg's 'feisty' Collins in Australian Open quarterfinals
- Danelle Collins Stuns Angelique Kerber, Advances to Quarterfinals at Australian Open
- Russia rescued Le Pen’s party – then the mystery began
- US tells Russia to 'immediately cease' after attack on Ukrainian ships
- Australian Open: So many Slam champs over past 2 years
- High schools: Bow girls’ hoop opens season with rebounding, ball movement and 54-34 win
- Stephens recovers from early trouble to advance in Sydney
- Stocks Rise Ahead of Fed Decision That Could Signal Slowdown in Interest Rate Hikes
- Second helpings: Restaurants that opened, closed in central Arkansas in 2018
- Serena knocked out of Australian Open
Russia's Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova Ends Season Early ahead of French Open have 377 words, post on www.news18.com at May 18, 2022. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.