Israel advanced plans for the construction of more than 4,000 settler homes in the occupied West Bank on Thursday, a rights group said, a day after the military demolished homes in an area where hundreds of Palestinians face the threat of expulsion.
It was a jolting illustration of Israel’s policies in the territory it has occupied for nearly 55 years. Critics, including three major human rights groups, say those policies amount to apartheid, a charge Israel rejects as an attack on its very legitimacy.
Hagit Ofran, an expert on the settlements at the anti-settlement watchdog group Peace Now, said a military planning body approved 4,427 housing units at a meeting on Thursday that she attended. Israeli officials did not respond to requests for comment.
It’s the biggest advancement of settlement projects since the Biden administration took office. The White House opposes settlement construction and views it as an obstacle to any eventual peace agreement with the Palestinians. Most of the international community considers the settlements illegal, but has given Israel no incentive to stop building and expanding them.
Israeli leaders view the West Bank as the biblical and historical heartland of the Jewish people. Prime Minister Naftali Bennett , who once led the main settler organization, is opposed to Palestinian statehood, but his government has taken steps to improve economic conditions for Palestinians.
Israel approved some 3,000 settler homes in October, brushing aside a rebuke from the United States, its closest ally. Peace talks with the Palestinians broke down more than a decade ago, in part because of Israel’s continuing construction on lands the Palestinians want for a future state.
On Wednesday, Israeli troops demolished at least 18 buildings and structures in the West Bank following a Supreme Court decision that would force at least 1,000 Palestinians out of an area Israel designated as a firing zone in the early 1980s.
B'Tselem, another Israeli rights group, said 12 residential buildings were among the structures that were demolished, in villages in the arid hills south of the West Bank city of Hebron.
Residents of the Masafer Yatta say they have been living in the region, herding animals and practicing traditional desert agriculture for decades, long before Israel captured the West Bank in the 1967 war. The Supreme Court sided with the military, which says there were no permanent structures in the area before it was designated a training zone.
The military declined to comment on the demolitions.
Israel has built more than 130 settlements across the West Bank that today are home to nearly 500,000 settlers, who have Israeli citizenship. Nearly 3 million Palestinians live in the territory under open-ended Israeli military rule. The Palestinian Authority exercises limited self-rule over parts of the West Bank and cooperates with Israel on security matters.
The Palestinians want the West Bank to form the main part of a future state, along with east Jerusalem and Gaza, all territories seized by Israel in the 1967 war. Israel annexed east Jerusalem in a move not recognized internationally, and Israel and Egypt imposed a blockade on Gaza after the Palestinian militant group Hamas seized power there in 2007.
The Palestinians view the expansion of settlements in the West Bank and annexed east Jerusalem as a major obstacle to any future peace deal because they reduce and divide up the land on which such a state would be established.
- Franchisee Rights Groups to Join
- Old Job - Blue Collar, New Job - Home Based Business
- Home Based Business - Essential Overview and Basics
- 7 Tips for Building Your Vacation Home Plans
- New Construction Progress Inspections
- How to Join a Group on Myspace
- Medical Billing From Home - Avoid the Problems
- Buying a Home - Dealing With Lender Letters
- The NAACP is No Common, Ordinary Civil Rights Organization
- 10 Tips on Purchasing a New Home in Atlanta
- For Immediate Credit, Choose An Instant Approval Credit Card
- Getting Your Finances Ready to Buy a Home
- 21 Steps To Home Business Success
- Working From Home - The Lifestyle Everyone Craves - An Opportunity Second to None
- Group Development Under Combat Conditions
- Making Money Online With A Work From Home Watkins Products Business
- Home Financing Secrets Revealed - Part ONE
- Internet Affiliate Marketing Company - How to Find the Right One
- Black Homeowner Update - Secret Report Insurance Companies Keep on Your Home
- Factors to Consider With Your Plan to Buy a Home in Sarasota Real Estate
Rights group: Israel approves over 4,000 new settler homes have 759 words, post on www.independent.co.uk at May 12, 2022. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.