Diesel prices have hit a new high amid claims retailers hiked profits following the 5p per litre fuel duty cut.
Figures from the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy show the average price of a litre of diesel at UK forecourts was 179.7p on Monday.
That was up from 178.4p a week earlier.
The average price of petrol on Monday was 165.1p per litre.
That was narrowly below the record of 165.4p set on March 21, based on the Government's figures.
Separate fuel price statistics by data firm Experian Catalist using a different methodology show average prices on Monday were 180.3p per litre for diesel and 166.8p per litre for petrol.
The RAC said retailers are taking an average profit of 2p per litre more than before the policy was introduced to help cash-strapped motorists.
The firm's analysis showed the average margin for a litre of petrol and diesel is currently 11p and 8p respectively.
In the month up to the duty cut it was 9p for petrol and 6p for diesel.
- Tim Cook to Apple employees: iPhone activations in US, Canada set new record
- Dow hurtles past 14,000 for new record high
- Fuel pump prices have gone down but parts of the UK pay more - are you getting fleeced?
- MTA pushing for 23% fare hike to cover 2009 budget shortfall
- Gov. Paterson blasts New York state Senate for 'hijacking' MTA bailout effort
- Walmart bad for local business, but New Yorkers would shop there if convenient
- Oil prices soar to record levels
- Oil passes $120, gas prices slip
- Oil prices pass $134 after report of supply drop
- Reeling from high fuel costs, Montauk fishing industry sees its profits slashed
- Oil prices plummet on spreading economic fears
- Oil prices tumble again on U.S. surprise supply jump
- GoPro shares plunge 19% after it cut its second-half outlook, citing Hero8 shipment issues
- Siris: Be wary of retail bounce
- Oil prices drop as dollar strengthens
- Milk price sees a-maize-ing hike
- New jobless claims fall more than expected
- Trucks, SUVs build profits for auto companies' futures
- Why the accusations against popular brewery Trillium are so scandalous
- OPEC powerhouse Saudia Arabia will cut oil production by a record 2 million barrels per day
New record diesel price as retailers accused of hiking profits after duty cut have 388 words, post on www.independent.co.uk at May 17, 2022. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.