Norfolk, Virginia, United States ● Thu, May 19 2022
Indonesia is extraordinarily rich in primates—more than 40 species of monkeys, apes and prosimians can be found on islands throughout the archipelago. Unfortunately, one of those species, the long-tailed macaques, have targets on their backs.
Long-tailed macaques are innovative and opportunistic; they thrive in the niches that humans create as we change the environment. However, their ecological and behavioral flexibility make them vulnerable in an unexpected way; their presence around villages and along the edges of forests makes them an easy target for traffickers who use horrific methods to trap them for sale to a handful of international pharmaceutical companies, with the demand for monkeys coming primarily from the United States, Japan, China and the European Union.
Long-tailed macaques are being rounded up in forests and urban areas and forcibly removed from their social and family groups in rough and violent ways—footage by Action for Primates shows them with their hands tied behind their backs, dropped into sacks, crammed into wooden crates, and even violently beaten—then shipped thousands of kilometers around the globe ostensibly to provide life-saving treatments and vaccines.
to Read Full Story
- Unlimited access to our web and app content
- e-Post daily digital newspaper
- No advertisements, no interruptions
- Privileged access to our events and programs
- Subscription to our newsletters
Or let Google manage your subscription
- Doctors discover COVID-19’s ‘long tail’
- Team behind Monkey’s Tail to open new bar concept at former Petrol Station space
- Revenge of the monkeys: Rampaging animals terrorise villagers, with dozens stealing food and clothes and vandalising homes after they were forced from their habitat in Indonesia
- Sickening moment racist thug makes monkey gestures at Black Lives Matter protesters in London
- Harrowing video shows lab monkeys gripping cage bars in distress and poking their eyes
- Miners need more engineers to meet new tailings dam safety standard
- Endangered Brazilian monkeys get a bridge to themselves
- 3 Mexico smugglers undone by screech of their howler monkeys
- Motorola Edge review: Stunning display, good price
- Teetering on the brink: Incredible picture shows home 'hanging' over cliff edge after large landslide causes firefighters to evacuate 20 homes in Kent
- Kodagu on the edge as incessant rains lash district
- New on Apple TV+ this month: ‘Ted Lasso’, ‘Long Way Up’ and more
- Chronic fatigue syndrome a possible long-term effect of Covid-19, experts say
- Mexican-American themed bar Monkey’s Tail opens July 3 in Lindale Park
- Cut Here: Gecko Tails Rip Off Along 'Dotted' Line
- Shoppers slam H&M over ‘racist’ advert showing black youngster wearing a ‘coolest monkey in the jungle’ hoodie
- Video of monkey napping prompts people to share funny stories
- Porsche 911 GT3 Touring Package Hides 494 HP Under Smooth Tail
- Moto Edge Plus review: Overshadowed by giants
- Scientists follow the nose to solve mystery of long-necked reptile
Long-tailed monkeys on the edge have 471 words, post on www.thejakartapost.com at May 19, 2022. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.