Two women have been arrested following the death of an eight-month-old baby following a ‘medical episode’ at a nursery.
Greater Manchester Police were called to Tiny Toes Children’s Day Nursery just before 3.20pm on Monday and the little girl was taken to hospital by paramedics, but she later died.
Police are treating her death as “unexplained”.
The women, aged 35 and 34, have been arrested on suspicion of gross negligence manslaughter.
They remain in custody at this time for questioning.
Detective Superintendent Phil Duffy said: "Our thoughts are very much with baby girl's family who are understandably shocked and devastated and we're doing everything we can to get them the answers they deserve.
"Since we were called, we've carried out a number of lines of enquiry already and now two arrests have been made as our investigation continues.
“Officers are continuing to work to establish the full facts around what happened and ascertain the circumstances behind this tragedy.
"This is a heartbreaking time for all those involved and we would ask that the public respect the family's privacy at this time and avoid speculation whilst we continue to investigate."
Franck Pelle, owner of Tiny Toes Children’s Day Nursery, told the Manchester Evening News : “Our heartfelt condolences and deepest sorrow are with the parents and family at this devastating time.
“We are working closely with all involved to assist and due to the sensitivities and ongoing investigation we are unable to comment any further at this time.”
Ofsted confirmed it had “suspended this setting to allow time for other agencies to complete their enquiries” while the investigation takes place.
A Stockport Council spokesman added: “The council is aware of the sad news of the death of an eight-month-old girl at a premises on Mellor Road in Cheadle.
“First and foremost, our thoughts go out to the family for their loss at this difficult time. We are not able to comment any further and await the outcome of the investigation.”
If you are affected by this story
If you are affected by this story there are many people who would be happy to talk to you:
If you need to talk and don’t know where to turn to, the Samaritans operate a free helpline open 24/7 on 116 123. Alternatively you can email [email protected] or visit the website to find your local branch.
If you or somebody you know is experiencing a mental health problem, SANEline’s helpline is open between 4.30pm and 10.30pm every day on 0300 304 7000.
The mental health charity Mind has resources aimed at helping you cope with and plan for a crisis. Visit their website for details on helplines, how to access crisis services and what to do if you’re unable to get help yourself.
*In an emergency, dial 999 for urgent help
In an earlier statement, Greater Manchester Police said: “Officers were called by colleagues from North West Ambulance Service to a report of a child suffering a medical episode at a premises on Mellor Road in Cheadle just before 3.20pm on Monday.
“An eight-month-old girl was taken to hospital where she sadly died.
“The death is currently being treated as unexplained and an investigation to establish the cause is on-going.”
- Woman, 24, arrested on suspicion of murder after 13-week-old baby girl dies at Gosport home
- Woman, 24, is arrested on suspicion of murdering 13-week-old baby girl who died after falling 'seriously unwell' at home
- Tamil Nadu: Man, his mother arrested in Madurai district for killing a four-day-old baby girl
- Impoverished couple tries to sell 2-month old baby in Hyderabad, arrested
- 4-month-old baby died of medical negligence, not COVID-19, parents allege
- Karnataka: 196 people including a 4-month-old baby test positive for COVID-19
- Tragedy as baby girl, 20 months, dies after being struck by a car in the driveway of a family home
- Father, 27, accused of murdering his four-month-old son after the baby suffered 'catastrophic brain injuries' is released on bail
- 20-month old girl dies in 4WD collision in southern NSW
- Covid-19 positive woman gives birth to health baby girl; first such delivery in Pune
- Baby girl in hospital after overdosing on cocaine 'in mother's milk'
- Doctors are left baffled by identical five-month-old twins after one suffered life-threatening coronavirus-related inflammatory syndrome while the other was left with no symptoms
- Katy Perry reveals pregnancy difficulties she's facing ahead of welcoming baby girl
- Owner of Norwalk Day Care Where Girl Died Gives Up License: Report
- Horrified neighbours describe how they saw man holding baby 'in a headlock' as woman 'lay in pool of blood' after being 'attacked with a kitchen knife' at home
- Married nursery worker who had baby with schoolboy, 13, after seducing him while babysitting is jailed
- Mumbai records 1,044 cases; 32 die
- Foster parents charged in girl’s death on ND reservation
- EXCLUSIVE: 'He is our miracle': Premature baby boy born eight weeks early caught COVID-19 but became one of Britain's youngest to beat the virus after being treated with experimental Ebola drug remdesivir
- 'They didn't die a heroic death, but they lived heroic lives.' Remembering the military heroes who died by suicide
Eight-month-old baby girl dies after 'medical episode' at nursery as two women arrested have 838 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at May 13, 2022. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.