Denpasar ● Fri, May 27 2022
Once punishable by death, intercaste marriages leave a complex legacy for modern Balinese. Faced with stigma, cultural erasure and economic precarity, the brave few who marry beyond their station have a myriad of stories to tell.
"I married my husband for love," declared Nengah, a 47-year-old civil servant who refused to reveal her real name. "And in spite of everything, I knew we were in the right. He was my karma. Our meeting was meant to be."
Sixteen years of marriage and two teenage daughters later, Nengah could reflect on a path well-taken. But flashback a couple of decades and a completely different picture emerges. Her marriage was violently opposed by her extended family, was almost made impossible by centuries of tradition and necessitated her making big changes to her life.
to Read Full Story
- Unlimited access to our web and app content
- e-Post daily digital newspaper
- No advertisements, no interruptions
- Privileged access to our events and programs
- Subscription to our newsletters
Or let Google manage your subscription
- COVID-19 jab no longer required for SA cross-border residents
- Cross border selling is our focus for small businesses in India: PayPal
- Creative cross-border businesses use a loophole to keep their livelihoods alive
- Multiple Sex Offenders, Gang Members Arrested After Crossing Border from Mexico
- Queensland cross-border police officers directed to take leave after refusing jab
- Peter Robinson: Irish cross-border relations 'have never been better'
- Cross-border trade can pave the way for peace, exchange of ideas: Jeff Hammer
- 'Communities are crumbling': MPs seek new Tweed border zone
- NSW government 'vehemently opposes' moving Queensland border checkpoint south
- Woman who attempted to breach border by hiding in car boot arrested after fourth crossing attempt
- 'Reasonably rapid' changes to QLD–NSW border rules remain possible despite 'substantial misalignment'
- Channel crossings: More than 800 migrants make perilous journey in new daily record
- NSW government shuts down possibility of moving Coolangatta-Tweed border
- We asked constitutional law experts if state border restrictions are illegal. Here's what they said
- Border with NSW will stay shut for 10 more weeks, Queensland confirms
- Migrants in Italy scaling the ALPS to evade border police and enter France
- Queensland's 'heavy-handed' border restrictions with NSW to remain
- Truck drivers stage protest amid 'border bubble' talks as Qld records no new local COVID cases
- This family had 12 hours to get back to Queensland before the border shut. Problem is they were 18 hours away
- Queensland border residents angry at 'cruel' closure of local healthcare services
Crossing borders: stories of intercaste marriages in Bali have 417 words, post on www.thejakartapost.com at May 27, 2022. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.