A person with knowledge of the decision says Darvin Ham has accepted an offer to be the next head coach of the Los Angeles Lakers .
The person spoke with The Associated Press on Friday on condition of anonymity because the deal has not been publicly announced.
The 48-year-old Ham is getting his first head coaching job as the 28th coach in Lakers history. He has been an assistant to Mike Budenholzer with the Milwaukee Bucks since 2018, and he played a significant role in their run to the 2021 NBA title.
Ham will be the successor to Frank Vogel, who was fired one day after the Lakers wrapped up one of the most disappointing seasons in NBA history by going 33-49 and missing the playoffs.
The Lakers flopped despite another impressive season from LeBron James , who welcomed his new head coach on social media even before the move was publicly announced.
"So damn EXCITED!!!!!!!!" James tweeted. "Congrats and welcome Coach DHam!!"
Ham will be the 15th Black coach currently in the NBA, the most ever at one time.
Ham was a player development assistant coach with Kobe Bryant’s Lakers from 2011-13 on the staffs of head coaches Mike Brown and Mike D'Antoni. Ham then had a five-year stint on the Atlanta Hawks' staff under Budenholzer, developing a reputation as an effective communicator with versatile tactical knowledge.
Budenholzer’s staffs with the Hawks also included Taylor Jenkins, Quin Snyder and Kenny Atkinson, who all became NBA head coaches.
Vogel led the Lakers to the franchise's 17th title exactly 18 months before his firing. He failed to coax a winning season out of a veteran-laden roster led by James, oft-injured Anthony Davis and newcomer Russell Westbrook, who had a dismal first season with his hometown team. Westbrook is under contract for another season with the Lakers.
Ham played eight seasons in the NBA and won a championship with the Detroit Pistons in 2004 before moving into coaching in 2008. The Michigan native played collegiately at Texas Tech.
AP Basketball Writer Tim Reynolds contributed to this report.
More AP NBA: https://apnews.com/hub/NBA and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports
- AP source: UNLV offers head coach job to LSU’s Dave Aranda
- AP sources: Mississippi State fires Moorhead after 2 seasons
- David Moyes: What you should know about West Ham’s new head coach
- Nuggets announce contract extension for head coach Michael Malone
- Report: Kings signed head coach Tyrone Corbin to contract for remainder of the season
- Browns request to interview Josh McDaniels, Greg Roman, AP source says
- AP source: Ole Miss fires coach Matt Luke after 3 seasons, 15-21 record
- The Latest: AP source: Markieff Morris to New Orleans
- Kidd, Hollins top Frank Vogel’s coaching staff with Lakers
- Kings fire Dave Joerger, reportedly interested in Lakers coach Luke Walton
- Falcons choose stability: Quinn, Dimitroff to remain in 2020
- Jason Garrett stuck in limbo as Cowboys brass avoids decision on coach's status
- Would you want a personal trainer strapped to your head?
- Ravens coach Harbaugh: LB Suggs ‘headed for Hall of Fame’
- 60 Awesome iPhone & iPad Apps for Students Heading Back to School
- Luka Doncic, Giannis Antetokounmpo the early All-Star vote leaders
- Warriors Steve Kerr: LaVar Ball ‘the Kardashian of the NBA’
- Omri Casspi’s cutting makes him ideal fit with Warriors
- NBA Winners and Losers: Celtics' new star core keeps winning; Shai Gilgeous-Alexander shines; 76ers stumble
- One, done: Browns fire Kitchens after disappointing season
AP source: Lakers choose Darvin Ham as next head coach have 600 words, post on www.independent.co.uk at May 28, 2022. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.