A Norwegian airline has started selling tickets for budget transatlantic flights from Gatwick.
Daily flights on the route begin on August 12 using Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft.
Other US destinations to be served by the carrier will be announced shortly.
The airline is hoping to succeed where Norwegian Air Shuttle failed.
Norwegian operated transatlantic flights with low fares but axed its long-haul operations in January 2021 due to heavy losses.
It was founded by Bjorn Kjos , who resigned as chief executive in July 2019 and holds a minority stake in Norse.
Bjorn Tore Larsen, boss of Norse, said: "We are very pleased to now be able to welcome customers looking to book great value flights between London Gatwick and New York JFK.
"Customers now have an affordable option allowing them to book a last-minute trip or a holiday of a lifetime with an airline that offers choice and flexibility."
The launch of Norse flights from Gatwick will be a major boost for the West Sussex airport, which has been badly affected by the coronavirus pandemic.
It closed one of its two terminals between June 2020 and March due to the collapse in passenger numbers.
Gatwick chief executive Stewart Wingate said: "We are delighted to welcome Norse Atlantic Airways to Gatwick.
"It's always great to see a new tail on the airfield but the arrival of a new airline following the turbulent past two years for the industry, and one that will be offering fantastic long-haul routes across the Atlantic, is particularly exciting news.
"Passengers across London and the South East will now be able to benefit from another transatlantic service from Gatwick, with Norse offering excellent value for money for those flying out for a dream holiday, or important business trip, to New York, one of the world's most famous and dynamic cities."
- Emirates' latest sale has seriously cheap return flights to Thailand but be quick
- Delta launches new service between Mumbai, New York
- Back after a decade, Delta to start flights between Mumbai-New York from December 24
- Virgin Atlantic has return flights to New York from £260pp in its latest sale
- Cheap return flights to Australia are going from £574pp but you need to be quick
- What Would Flying From New York to Shanghai in 39 Minutes Feel Like?
- New Supersonic Commercial Flight From Boom Could Go From San Francisco To Tokyo In Under 6 Hours
- Vietnam Airlines launches Ha Noi – Macau service
- London to New York in less than an hour? Hypersonic trans-Atlantic jet travel gets a step closer as scientists successfully work out how to stop the engine melting at 2,500mph
- Emirates launches cheap return flights to Bangkok from £459pp in huge sale
- Trump Backs Supersonic NASA Jet That Will Fly From New York to London in Three Hours
- Delta Air to start direct India flights, has signed pact with Vistara
- JetBlue's winter flight sale has one-way tickets for $54
- British Airways January sale: our pick of the best flight and holiday deals
- First look inside Hong Kong Airlines A350 [Photos]
- Unusual pet gets Calif. passenger booted off JetBlue flight
- You can bag flights to Thailand, the US and Italy for £1.99 but be very quick
- This new airline sold out its very first flight in just 11 minutes flat
- Icelandic budget airline WOW ceases operations
- Why slot sales are key to airlines' take-off
Airline launches ticket sales for Gatwick-New York return flights from £255 have 611 words, post on www.independent.co.uk at May 27, 2022. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.