The 2022 Uttar Pradesh Assembly election will not be a contest between the 20% vs the 80% but between the 15% and the 85%, rebel OBC leader Swami Prasad Maurya said on Friday, January 14, 2022, pitting social justice bahujan politics head-on against the Hindutva mobilization of the BJP.
Days after Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath stated that the election would be a battle between the 20 and 80 , an indirect reference to the communal composition of Muslims and Hindus in the State, Mr. Maurya resorted to the antidote of mobilization of the Dalits, tribals and backward castes against the 'upper castes.'
Delivering an impassioned speech upon joining the BJP's main rival, the Samajwadi Party, at its party headquarters here Mr. Maurya targeted the alleged appeasement of the 'upper castes' in particular the Thakur caste which Mr. Adityanath himself was born into under the BJP government.
” Sarkar banave Dalit aur Pichde, aur malai khave who log agde paanch % log (The Dalits and Backward castes formed your government but the 5% forward caste people will get the cream of the power?), Mr. Maurya asked. He quit the Yogi Adityanath cabinet on Tuesday accusing the government of neglecting Dalits and OBCs.
Mr. Maurya, who joined the BJP in 2016 after 20 years in the BSP, where he enjoyed stints in power, said the BJP had pulled wool over the eyes of Dalits, OBCs and minorities and snatched power in 2017. He further said that in the last election, the BJP came to power on the strength of the backward castes. "They spread this perception that either Keshav Prasad Maurya (BJP leader and deputy CM) or Swami Prasad Maurya would be CM," Mr. Maurya said.
Challenging the BJP's "Hindu card," Mr. Maurya thundered: " 80-20 nahi, ab toh hoga 15-85 ka. 85 toh hamara hain, 15 mein bhi batwara hain (Not 80 vs 20, now it is between 15 and 85. All of 85 is ours and even in the remaining 15 we have a share)." The 85 refers to the mobilization of the Dalits, tribals and OBCs, while the 15 is used to denote the strength in the population of the traditional upper castes like Brahmins, Thakurs, Vaishyas and Kayasthas.
Further targeting the Yogi government, Mr. Maurya asked the CM if he was a "sympathiser" of the Hindus, then why did the government "commit the sin of swallowing the reservation given to the Dalits, tribals and backward caste people by the constitution like a python?"
"Yogji, aren't the tribals, Dalits and backward caste people Hindus," Mr. Maurya asked. "Are only some badi jaat (upper caste) people Hindus in your eyes? If only those 5-10% people are Hindus, then you are definitely in trouble," Mr. Maurya said.
- Roast, rage, jealousy, cringe. Who'll have the last laugh in YouTube vs TikTok's online 'class wars'?
- It will still take time for Kejriwal to emerge as national leader: Political experts
- Autorickshaw, car numbers in Congress list of buses for migrants, says UP govt; party protests
- India vs England: Ben Stokes Misses Out, Dawid Malan Dropped For Lord's Test
- Adityanath makes u-turn, UP says no permission needed to hire its workers
- Other States cannot take our people without our permission: Yogi Adityanath
- What the Latest Polls Say About Joe Biden vs. Donald Trump in the 2020 Election
- Walz says stay-at-home is working; extends order to May 4
- Liverpool vs. AC Milan: 'The greatest Champions League final of all time'
- MLAs who ‘sacrificed’ to remove Congress govt will be contenders for tickets in by-polls: Madhya Pradesh BJP chief
- Shivraj Singh Chouhan works on cabinet expansion, party on by-polls
- CBS News poll: Americans split on unlocking San Bernardino shooter's iPhone
- India vs England Highlights, 3rd Test Day 3: Virat Kohli Stars With Ton As India Set 521-Run Target For England
- Coronavirus live updates: Health worker cases in U.S. top 60,000, CDC says
- ‘Even God would have failed’: MP minister says loan waiver promise was a fraud by Congress
- World economic prospects darken, rebound delayed: Reuters poll
- Cricket World Cup 2019: England vs South Africa Result, Highlights, Score, Player of the Match & More
- Boris Johnson could be forced to give evidence to London Assembly over his 'intimate' relationship with Jennifer Arcuri after he escaped criminal investigation into claims he gave her special treatment
- World Cup 2018, Brazil vs Mexico Highlights: Brazil Beat Mexico 2-0 To Enter Quarter-Finals
- Primary schools WILL start to open on June 1 as planned says Boris Johnson – with secondaries a fortnight later – after weeks of wrangling with teachers' unions over coronavirus safety
U.P. Assembly polls | Maurya takes Adityanath head-on, says it’s 15% vs 85% have 735 words, post on www.thehindu.com at January 15, 2022. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.