Jakarta ● Sat, January 15 2022
What a sad twist of political career for Rahmat Effendi, who as Bekasi mayor earned an iconic status as a true defender of freedom of religion. It was reduced to almost nothing after the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) arrested him for allegedly accepting bribes during a sting operation on Jan. 5.
Now, he joins dozens of regional leaders who have faced justice for abuse of power and misappropriation of state money to enrich themselves or their circles.
Just over a week after apprehending Rahmat, KPK investigators nabbed Penajem Paser Utara regent Abdul Gafur Mas’ud on Thursday, also in connection with bribery.
to Read Full Story
- Unlimited access to our web and app content
- e-Post daily digital newspaper
- No advertisements, no interruptions
- Privileged access to our events and programs
- Subscription to our newsletters
Or let Google manage your subscription
- Abuse allegations have been leveled at the Catholic Church for decades
- As China Cracks Down on Churches, Christians Declare ‘We Will Not Forfeit Our Faith’
- Brooklyn Dems back judge accused of going easy on defendants
- Zimbabwe: Fraud Accused Undenge Demands ED Arrest, Says Targeted for Being G40
- Kenya: Police Arrest Kenyan Suspected to Have Stolen Sh140m in Dubai
- What to do when a family member is arrested by ICE agents
- Nigeria: 65-Year-Old Arrested for Defiling, Impregnating 13-Year-Old Pupil in Edo
- Somalia: Arrest and Release of Somaliland Poet Puts Spotlight On Regional Troubles
- South Africa: Musina Traffic Officer Arrested After Shooting At Petrol Station
- Liberia Council of Churches Aware of ‘Strange’ Saint Assembly Int’l Church
- Another immigration raid defendant deported
- A 41-year-old man has been arrested for robbing a credit union in Wauwatosa
- One arrested after shots fired in a Greenfield neighborhood; nobody injured
- Grafton man arrested after Port Washington man found lying in pool of blood after bar fight
- Piranha's Bar shooting: Second suspect arrested in September non-fatal shooting in Nashville
- Dismissal motion scheduled in lawsuit filed over new home of T.O. councilman's church
- Police arrest man for shining laser pointer on Waukesha cop, averting a possible tragic outcome
- 'Prayer and penance:' More than 78 predator priests in Pa. still paid by Catholic church
- Mollie Tibbetts' mom took in son of Mexican immigrants after murder suspect's arrest, report says
- Shut down the Dan Ryan, march to stamp out the daily gunfire
The church defender arrested have 392 words, post on www.thejakartapost.com at January 15, 2022. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.