The rupee on Monday slumped by 19 paise to 74.62 (provisional) against the U.S. dollar at close due to high crude oil prices, forex outflows and heavy losses in domestic equities amid growing geo-political worries.
Forex traders said the strength of the American currency in the overseas market and weak appetite for riskier assets also dragged down the local unit.
Moreover, market participants are now eyeing the U.S. Fed’s January 25-26 meeting for further cues.
At the interbank foreign exchange market, the local currency opened at 74.43 against the greenback and witnessed an intra-day high of 74.42 and a low of 74.69 during the session.
The rupee finally settled at 74.62, down 19 paise or 0.26% over its previous close of 74.43.
The dollar index, which gauges the greenback’s strength against a basket of six currencies, was trading 0.12% up at 95.75.
Brent crude futures, the global oil benchmark, rose 0.33% to $88.18 per barrel.
On the domestic equity market front, the BSE Sensex ended 1,545.67 points or 2.62% lower at 57,491.51, while the broader NSE Nifty declined 468.05 points or 2.66% to 17,149.10.
Foreign institutional investors remained net sellers in the capital market on Friday as they offloaded shares worth ₹ 3,148.58 crore, according to stock exchange data.
- Rupee rises 24 paise to 74.38 against U.S. Dollar in early trade
- Rupee settles 16 paise higher at 74.46 against US dollar
- Rupee settles 8 paise lower against US dollar
- Rupee opens 14 paise higher at 74.13 against dollar
- Rupee settles 10 paise higher at 74.01 against U.S. dollar
- Rupee settles 11 paise higher at 74.16 against US dollar
- Rupee slips 13 paise to 74.32 against US dollar in early trade
- Rupee rises 12 paise to 74.15 against US dollar in early trade
- Rupee opens at 73.99 per dollar, trades with mild gains
- Rupee surges 21 paise to 73.90 against U.S. dollar in early trade
- Rupee settles 3 paise higher at 73.88 against US Dollar
- Rupee opens 4 paise higher against the US dollar
- Rupee opens 10 paise higher against the US dollar
- Rupee rises 11 paise to 73.77 against US dollar in early trade
- Rupee snaps 5-day winning run, falls 17 paise to 74.05 vs USD
- Rupee settles 5 paise higher at 74.11 against US Dollar
- Rupee ends 14 paise higher at 74.46 per dollar
- Rupee ends higher at 74.19 per dollar
- Rupee ends higher at 74.09 per dollar
- 80,472 new infections push India's Covid-19 caseload past 62 lakh, recoveries rise to 51.8 lakh
Rupee falls by 19 paise to 74.62 against U.S. dollar have 347 words, post on www.thehindu.com at January 24, 2022. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.