Jakarta ● Wed, January 26 2022
Indonesia has struck a deal with Singapore to take over the management of strategic airspace over a busy global travel route, the leaders of the two countries said, after years of dogged negotiations.
However, Singapore also insisted that the deal to realign the Flight Information Region (FIR) should come into effect alongside a revised extradition treaty and renewed commitment to a Defense Cooperation Agreement (DCA) that had fallen by the wayside since 2007, putting pressure on Indonesian lawmakers to ratify all agreements at once.
President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo and Singaporean Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong announced the agreement on Tuesday on the resort island of Bintan, Riau Islands province, located just an hour's ferry ride away from the city state, where they resumed an annual leader's retreat after a two-year absence due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
to Read Full Story
- Unlimited access to our web and app content
- e-Post daily digital newspaper
- No advertisements, no interruptions
- Privileged access to our events and programs
- Subscription to our newsletters
Or let Google manage your subscription
- Gategroup on brink of deal for Lufthansa's European catering business
- Netflix Strikes Content Pact With Korea’s JTBC
- The Latest: Trump says he’s in ‘no hurry’ to strike Iran
- GLOBAL MARKETS-Asian shares up from 3-week lows, but trade worries linger
- Asian shares up from three-week lows, but trade worries linger
- N.Korea fires unidentified projectiles - S.Korea military
- North Korea fires unidentified projectiles: South Korea military
- North Korea conducts artillery firing at Kim’s order
- 'This country will not stand for it.' Trump hints at retaliation for Iran shooting down U.S. drone in the Gulf but says he believes 'loose and stupid' general made a 'mistake' and did NOT act on orders from Tehran
- Kim Jong-un forced his uncle to watch his colleagues' execution by anti-aircraft guns, then poured their blood over him until he fainted, North Korean defector claims
- Brian Michael Bendis Talks
- Donald Trump says summit with Kim Jong Un may not happen
- Kashmir conflict: Pakistan returns captured pilot to India
- Trump announces new US sanctions on Iran that target Supreme Leader Khamenei amid fears markets will go into meltdown
- Michael Gove's statement on OECD's global educational league tables: Politics live blog
- Nuclear fears abound after India-Pakistan military escalation
- Donald Trump said it's 'looking' like Iran is responsible for the drone attack that pummeled Saudi Arabia's oil facilities and that the U.S. will know soon who was definitively behind it – then decide on any military action
- Fat Leonard’s Crimes on the High Seas
- Robert Reich: Air Traffic Controllers Blew Up Trump's Shutdown. Will He Dare Challenge Them Again? | Opinion
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES NOVEMBER 28
RI, Singapore strike airspace deal have 458 words, post on www.thejakartapost.com at January 26, 2022. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.