A baby underwent open heart surgery at just six-months-old after being born premature with a hole in her heart.
Izabella Toole was born at just 34 weeks at Liverpool Women’s Hospital weighing just 3.7 lbs.
The tot initially appeared well but soon began having breathing difficulties and spent the first few days of her life in intensive care.
Parents Eleanor and James, of Liverpool, Merseyside, were shell-shocked when doctors then gave them the devastating news that their baby needed open heart surgery.
This was due to a condition called ventricular septal defect (VSD) which meant Izabella had a hole in the wall separating her two heart valves.
Eleanor, 43, told the Liverpool Echo : “The size of the hole meant it wasn’t going to sort itself out.
“We were told she needed the operation before she was two and we decided we wanted her to have it sooner rather than later.
“The whole thing was terrifying. It was a whirlwind. You just have to trust the experts that you’re in safe hands. We were shell-shocked.
“At the time I don’t think you can really grasp how difficult it is to go through that as a family.”
At six months old, Izabella underwent the gruelling surgery at Alder Hey Children’s Hospital.
On January 5, the family celebrated the 10 year anniversary of the operation that saved their daughter’s life.
James, 45, said: “You talk about it, you cry we came out the other end as a family.”
“It was terrifying and obviously a traumatic thing to let your child go through but we knew it was for the best.”
The family are still processing the trauma of Izabella’s early health issues and want to raise awareness of the importance of research into heart defects that “made the operation possible.”
James described their now ten-year-old daughter as “wonderful, laid back and happy” with dreams of becoming a make-up artist.
The couple praised the incredible care and regular check ups they received from Alder Hey.
Eleanor said: “All the staff were really supportive. They have us a support team that looked after us too and made sure we were okay.”
During her treatment, Izabella’s parents gave consent for their daughter to take part in research projects to further understand heart conditions.
They raised more than £500 for the British Hearth Foundation in 2016 and now feel it is important to give back to the research that helped their daughter.
Eleanor added: “It was research that made Izabella’s operation possible.
“Without the people that went before Izabella, all those years and open heart surgery and research, Izabella wouldn’t be where she is.”
- Coronavirus: Mum shares heartbreaking photo of her two-month-old baby daughter hooked up to a ventilator
- Parents shock after nine-month-old infant son becomes youngest known in the UK to contract coronavirus
- 'I lost 4st and had the ‘miracle’ baby doctors told me I’d never give birth to'
- Mum of nine-month-old baby in coronavirus isolation after three heart ops slams callous thieves who stole family’s milk
- Devastated mum finds two-month-old baby dead after leaving him for just ten minutes
- Thomas Rhett's 18-Month-Old Daughter Willa Steals the Show During Singer's
- Baby and nine-month-old boy get coronavirus as killer bug sweeps UK
- THREE British babies catch coronavirus in space of week: Another infant tests positive and is kept in isolation after nine-month-old boy and newborn also get killer disease
- London mum stuck in Peru with 9-month-old baby recovering from pneumonia after country shuts borders over coronavirus
- Cancer, heart surgeries delayed as coronavirus alters care
- Paramedic sobs ‘it’s over’ after being cleared of killing 10-month-old foster daughter
- EXCLUSIVE: 'I don't do the party scene': Sam Faiers hasn't had a night out since baby Paul Tony's birth NINE MONTHS AGO... as she blames herself for backlash against partner Paul
- Charlie Gard’s parents reveal they’re expecting a baby three years after they lost 11-month-old son
- Coronavirus mystery as nine-month-old boy becomes second baby in UK to catch disease
- Coronavirus: Mother's shock as nine-month-old son contracts COVID-19
- Mother, 35, urges other parents to look for warning signs after her six-month-old son tests positive for coronavirus
- Hilary Duff Says 13-Month-Old Daughter Banks Ate Dirt While Taking Thanksgiving Family Selfie
- Catherine Tyldesley's mum lovingly cradles her baby bump in a black and white snap as the Coronation Street star celebrates Mother's Day with a series of sweet throwbacks
- Jessica Alba plants a passionate kiss on husband of 10 years Cash Warren at the Baby2Baby Gala... just months after welcoming third child
- Mum devastated by cruel remarks over baby’s rare Alagille syndrome that turns his skin yellow
Mum terrified after doctor told her baby needs open heart surgery at just 6-months-old have 783 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at January 10, 2022. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.