Former President Donald Trump has canceled a news conference he had planned to hold at his Mar-a-Lago estate on the first anniversary of the Capitol riot.
Trump blamed the House select committee investigating the deadly insurrection and the media in his announcement on Tuesday canceling the presser.
'In light of the total bias and dishonesty of the January 6th Unselect Committee of Democrats, two failed Republicans, and the Fake News Media, I am canceling the January 6th Press Conference at Mar-a-Lago on Thursday, and instead will discuss many of those important topics at my rally on Saturday, January 15th, in Arizona,' Trump said in a statement released by his Save America PAC.
'It will be a big crowd!'
Trump had announced the press conference on December 21. It was scheduled to take place at his private club in Florida on Thursday night. The White House on Sunday had announced that President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris will speak on January 6.
Some Senate Republicans had expressed uneasiness around Trump holding a conference on the anniversary of day his supporters stormed the Capitol building to try to stop Congress from certifying the election for Biden.
'Hopefully his comments will be helpful, not harmful,' Republican Senator John Thune said of Trump on Tuesday.
Trump canceled his conference the same day that the House select committee sent a letter to his pal, Fox News host Sean Hannity , asking for voluntary cooperation in its inquiry.
Committee chair Bennie Thompson and vice chair Liz Cheney, one of the two Republicans on the bipartisan panel, wrote that Hannity 'had relevant communications while the riot was underway, and in the days thereafter'.
In his statement on Tuesday, Trump continued to push the false claim that the 2020 presidential election was stolen from him and slammed the committee.
'This is the Democrats' Great Cover-Up Committee and the Media is complicit,' Trump said.
'Why is the primary reason for the people coming to Washington DC, which is the fraud of the 2020 Presidential Election, not the primary topic of the Unselect Committee's investigation? This was, indeed, the Crime of the Century.'
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected] .
For more stories like this, check our news page .
Sign Up for News Updates
Get your need-to-know latest news, feel-good stories, analysis and more
Not convinced? Find out more »
- Mar-a-Lago is CLOSED: Donald Trump's 'southern White House' will have deep clean after at least three positive cases during the last weekend president spent there
- 'Enjoy your living room.' Donald Trump tells Americans NOT to travel as he confirms domestic restrictions can't be ruled out and says he is 'NOT happy' with people defying social distancing guidelines
- Donald Trump says he's a 'wartime president' as he signs special defense powers to ramp up medical equipment production 'in case of worst-case scenario' to tackle 'unseen enemy'
- Coronavirus: Donald Trump set to declare national emergency in the US
- Donald Trump laments that it cost him billions of dollars to become president as he again refuses to rule out taking bail out money for his business and attacks reporter for 'nasty question'
- Coronavirus quarantine hits MORE of Donald Trump's inner circle as Mick Mulvaney joins Stephanie Grisham and Ivanka being stuck at home but White House REFUSES to say how many senior staff are self-isolating
- Donald Trump holds first post-election press conference - live updates
- Donald Trump calls coronavirus the 'Chinese Virus' as he vows to protect American businesses including airlines from the economic fallout from the crisis and says 'we will be stronger than ever before'
- An Oral History of Donald Trump’s Almost-Run for President in 2000
- Bars, restaurants and stores are boarded up as three million Americans prepare to file for unemployment and Donald Trump warns of a nationwide two-week quarantine to slow the spread of coronavirus
- Republicans to take on Donald Trump over Saudi Arabia? Don't bet on it
- Lemming Beach: Shocking aerial footage shows a packed Florida sands on same day Donald Trump urged ALL Americans to avoid groups of more than 10 and practice self-distancing amid the coronavirus pandemic
- ‘We Don’t Stand by Our Agreements’: Diplos Brace for Donald Trump’s Assault on the Iran Deal
- 'This action can seriously aggravate the situation in the region.' Vladimir Putin uses emergency call to Emmanuel Macron to blast Donald Trump's drone strike on Iran's terror chief
- Illinois announces stay at home order, following New York and California, putting 70 MILLION Americans under lockdown as the states take matters into their own hands after Trump refused a national coronavirus quarantine
- Melania Trump unveils her own coronavirus PSA during her husband's press conference and says: 'This is not how we will live forever.'
- Melania Trump orders Easter Egg Roll canceled because of coronavirus as White House enacts new testing measures to protect president from the disease
- US lockdown NOW, crisis till August: Trump says there are '15 days to stop the spread' and old must stay home, gatherings over 10 people end, and schools, offices bars and restaurants close to beat coronavirus
- 'Chinese virus' comment 'very accurate': Trump
- Carlson says he felt obligation to meet with Trump on virus
Donald Trump cancels January 6 news conference at Mar-a-Lago, blames committee investigating Capitol riot have 860 words, post on metro.co.uk at January 5, 2022. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.