NEW YORK:The U.S. dollar snapped a three-day losing streak on Friday as the recent selling spree driven by the view that Federal Reserve tightening moves were largely priced in abated, and as weaker risk appetite in financial markets led investors to shun riskier currencies.
The U.S. dollar index was 0.3% higher at 95.157, but still looked set to finish the week down about 0.6%, its worst weekly showing since early September.
The greenback, which rose more than 6% against a basket of currencies in 2021, came under pressure this week despite Fed Chair Jerome Powell saying that the U.S. economy is ready for the start of tighter monetary policy and data showing the largest annual rise in inflation in nearly four decades.
"Investors appear to be taking the view that the USD has peaked and that Fed tightening moves are priced in and the likes of the euro offer better potential returns down the road,” Scotiabank foreign exchange strategists said in a note.
"We do not concur but have to acknowledge that the USD has suffered a setback — psychologically, at least — by breaking with supportive yield spreads versus its peers and by breaking below the base of its recent consolidation range,” they said.
Hedge fund dollar positioning close to the highest levels since early 2020 has added to the selling pressure on the dollar this week, analysts said.
U.S. retail sales dropped by the most in 10 months in December, likely the result of Americans starting their holiday shopping in October to avoid empty shelves at stores. [nL1N2TU18H]
On Friday, the dollar struggled to advance against the Japanese yen, with the U.S. currency falling 0.02% to more than a three-week low of 114.15 yen.
The safe-haven Japanese currency has benefited from the recent souring of risk sentiment in global financial markets.
Bank of Japan policymakers are debating how soon they can start telegraphing an eventual interest rate hike, which could come even before inflation hits the bank's 2% target, Reuters reported on Friday.
With global stock markets under pressure on Friday and Treasury yields higher, the Australian dollar, seen as a liquid proxy for risk appetite, fell 0.99% to a two-day low.
Sterling was 0.22% lower against the dollar as investors assessed the impact of a potential leadership change in the country as Prime Minister Boris Johnson faces the gravest crisis of his premiership after revelations about a series of gatherings in Downing Street during COVID-19 lockdowns.
Cryptocurrencies struggled to make a meaningful rebound after sharp losses at the start of the week. Bitcoin was up about 1% on the day at $43,086.34, not far from the five-month low of $39,558.70 touched on Monday.
Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor
- VN-Index ends 10-day losing streak
- BSE, NSE snap 5-day losing streak in choppy trade
- Embiid returns to snap 76ers' losing streak, NBA-leading Jazz stay hot
- Rupee spurts 32p to 72.93, ends 3-day losing streak
- Kings Snap Losing Streak With 110-107 Win Over Pistons
- Roundtable: What has been the worst part about the Wildcats’ historic losing streak?
- Stocks recover after 4-session losing streak
- Liverpool beat Sheffield Utd 2-0 to snap losing streak
- Shorthanded Cajuns suffer tough home loss that ended ULM's 10-game losing streak
- Wolves Beat Raptors 116-112 To End 4-Game Losing Streak
- Cajuns' 14-hit attack just enough to end five-game losing streak
- Football: Liverpool beat Sheffield Utd 2-0 to snap losing streak
- Arizona men's basketball snaps losing streak, sweeps season series against Oregon State
- Arizona men's basketball team snaps losing streak, sweeps season series against Oregon State
- Dollar on back foot despite Fed signal on rate hikes
- Clippers end Jazz's winning streak, Embiid and Murray star
- Wall Street snaps two-day slump as tech titans give lift
- VN-Index surges as foreign net selling value falls
- VN-Index hits 12-day high
- VN-Index falls to seven-day low
Dollar Snaps Three-day Losing Streak As Selling Pressure Abates have 641 words, post on www.news18.com at January 15, 2022. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.