New COVID-19 cases crossed the 1,000-mark as the active case count went over 4,200 here on Thursday. No deaths were reported in the last 24 hours.
Puducherry accounted for 956 of the 1,107 new cases, which were detected from 4,187 tests, followed by Karaikal (126), Mahe (18) and Yanam (seven).
With 40 patients recovering from COVID-19 in the last 24 hours, the active cases stood at 4,270. This comprised of 167 patients in hospitals and 4,103 in home isolation. The test positivity rate was 26.44%, case fatality rate 1.41% and recovery rate 95.4%.
The cumulative toll remained at 1,883 — Puducherry (1,471), Karaikal (251), Yanam (109) and Mahe (52). The Union Territory has so far recorded an aggregate of 1,33,866 cases and 1,27,713 recoveries. The Health Department has so far tested 20,83,360 samples and 17,68,424 have returned negative.
With 6,118 persons taking the jab against COVID-19 in the last 24 hours, the total vaccine doses administered by the Puducherry administration aggregated 14,91,798 doses — 9,03,845 first, 5,86.589 and 1,364 precaution doses.
Chief Secy. tests positive
The Puducherry Government's Chief Secretary, Ashwani Kumar, tested positive for COVID-19 on Thursday.
A test swab taken on Wednesday evening returned positive on Thursday, a Health Department official said. Apart from fatigue, the patient was not exhibiting any symptom of concern, the official added.
- Blagojevich jurors: Tapes made case against ex-governor
- EVENTS SCHEDULED FOR DECEMBER 10-20 (daily updated)
- EVENTS SCHEDULED FOR DEC. 15-31 (daily updated)
- Red Cross calls for int'l assistance for Vietnamese flood victims
- WHAT'S ON NOVEMBER 15-30 (DAILY UPDATE)
- Airline counts on Italy, France courts, lawyers to reverse ruling
- WHAT'S ON JANUARY 15-30 (DAILY UPDATE)
- WHO confirms Vietnam's two latest human bird flu cases
- Trade through northern border crossings remains stable
- EVENTS SCHEDULED FOR APRIL 1-15 (daily updated)
- EVENTS SCHEDULED FOR MAY 15-31 (daily updated)
- Typhoon kills at least 1,200 in Philippines: Red Cross
- SEA Games Highlights - December 19
- Central Highlands people risk lives crossing river on homemade 'zipline'
- HAGL counts on foreign funds for huge projects
- World flu fears sharpen as more cases detected
- WHO seeks $56 million for Zika; Brazil microcephaly cases rise
- Debts by SOEs not counted as public ones: ministry
- Syrian rebels fight for border crossings as clashes spread
- Hanoi counts over 500 idle projects
Daily count of COVID-19 cases in U.T. crosses 1,100 have 331 words, post on www.thehindu.com at January 14, 2022. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.