Jakarta ● Thu, November 25 2021
The World Superbike event at the Mandalika circuit on Lombok Island last week marked Indonesia's re-entry into the international race circuit after a 24-year hiatus. Perfect timing, too. Southeast Asia's largest economy, a middle-income country and the 16 th largest economy in the world, Indonesia must build its posture as a global player in all fields, from diplomacy to security, economy and culture, and sports too.
Indonesia showed its mettle when it hosted the Asian Games in 2018. It is not giving up on its dream to host the Summer Olympics, now going for 2036 after losing the bid for 2032. The new street circuit in the lush coastal resort town of Mandalika is part of the nation's confidence-building measures through sports, more specifically through motor races.
Indonesia started on this path in the 1990s with the Sentul motor circuit outside Jakarta hosting international races before the 1998 financial crisis abruptly ended them all.
to Read Full Story
- Unlimited access to our web and app content
- e-Post daily digital newspaper
- No advertisements, no interruptions
- Privileged access to our events and programs
- Subscription to our newsletters
Or let Google manage your subscription
- Bengaluru boys Aniketh Arya and Bhargav Narasimhan are in Moscow for the Red Bull Rubik’s Cube World Cup
- 5 new releases we love: Resilient disco pop, experimental hip-hop, and more
- Eliud Kipchoge makes history by running marathon in under two hours
- Pence insists economy is strong, blaming media for "irresponsible rhetoric"
- Patagonia off season: winter hiking in Torres del Paine
- 15 White Elephant Gifts for the Win 2019
- Cheltenham Festival 2017 recap: Gold Cup latest and all the results from Prestbury Park
- 'The Tale of the Dueling Neurosurgeons' (US 2014): Book Excerpt
- A 'speed' ahead: After a creditable F3 season, Jehan Daruvala ready to drive in F2 next year
- Singapore Grand Prix: Humidity meets hedonism during Asia's most punishing race
- Sun Racing Stayers’ Hurdle memories: Big Buck’s battles bravely to see off nimble Voler La Vedette in 2012 nail-biter
- United States Grand Prix: Lewis Hamilton on Pole, Doubts Title Will be Wrapped up
Roaring into world circuits have 361 words, post on www.thejakartapost.com at November 25, 2021. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.