ADDIS ABABA (Reuters) – Ethiopian Olympic gold medallist and national hero Haile Gebrselassie pledged on Wednesday to join the fight against rebellious forces in his country, after the prime minister said he had gone to direct the war from the front lines.
The 48-year-old retired champion, who set 27 long distance running records, told Reuters that he felt compelled to join up because Ethiopia’s existence was under threat.
Haile, his lithe, athletic frame dressed in business attire, said he believed sport was about “peace and love”. But he defended his decision to join the fight against rebellious Tigrayan forces and their allies, who last month threatened to march on the capital Addis Ababa.
“What would you do when the existence of a country is at stake? You just put down everything. Alas, nothing will bind you. I am sorry!”
The year-long conflict has killed thousands of people, forced more than 2 million more from their homes and left 400,000 people in Tigray facing famine. It escalated sharply after the threat by rebellious forces to march on the capital, leading to international efforts to broke a ceasefire https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-ethiopia-conflict-feltman/military-escalation-in-ethiopia-risks-undermining-progress-toward-peace-talks-u-s-envoy-idUKKBN2I81LC.
On Wednesday, state-affiliated media reported that Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed had gone to direct the war from the front lines https://www.reuters.com/world/africa/ethiopian-leader-delegates-duties-deputy-go-wars-front-lines-2021-11-24.
Haile cast the conflict as a battle in which the threat to Ethiopia was a threat to all of Africa.
“Ethiopia is a country that contributed a lot to Africa and the entire continent,” he said. “Yes, it is an exemplary country. Kneeling Ethiopia is indirectly kneeling the rest. This is impossible.”
In an interview in his office in the capital, where he runs more than a dozen companies engaged in hospitality, real estate, agriculture and education, Haile spoke of the role he was willing to play in the war.
“You expect me to say until death? Yes, that is the ultimate price in a war,” he said. “There is no way that I can sit here due to fear because it will come to my door. It will come to my house. We wouldn’t know when it comes. We wouldn’t know who will do what.”
(This story corrects spelling of Gebrselassie is headline and first paragraph)
(Reporting by Addis Ababa newsroom; Writing by Maggie Fick; Editing by Alex Richardson)
- Mo Farah breaks one-hour world record at Brussels Diamond League
- Strictly Come Dancing 'completes the 2020 line-up with 21-year-old singer and YouTube star HRVY'... who is the rumoured ex-boyfriend of 2019 contestant Saffron Barker
- Wednesday briefing: Exam warnings date back to July
- Mo Farah breaks one-hour world record on 'amazing' return to track
- John McCain Backs Bill to Block Trump From Exiting NATO Without Senate's Consent
- Ethiopia After the Revolution: Vultures Return to the Land of Sheba
- Strictly Come Dancing 2020: EastEnders wild child Maisie Smith and 2019 ballroom casualty Jamie Laing CONFIRMED alongside stand-up comic Bill Bailey and Invictus Games star JJ Chalmers
- ***Live Updates*** Republican National Convention Night Three
- One's first video call: Behind-the-scenes moment Princess Anne teaches her mother the Queen how to use the technology - in a sneak peek of upcoming ITV documentary to mark her 70th birthday
- SDCC 2009: Official Saturday Schedule Announced
- The best iPhone apps (September 2020)
- PlayStation Plus September 2020: all the free PS Plus games you can get this month
- The best Android apps (September 2020)
- READ: Trump's GOP nomination acceptance address
- Transcript: Donald Trump's RNC speech
- Read Donald Trump’s full RNC acceptance speech ripping Biden, Democrats and calling for four more years in office
- Microsoft's xCloud game streaming service is coming to Android on Sept 15
- Oliver Stone On His Coming-Of-Age Memoir ‘Chasing The Light,’ The Challenge In Making A President Trump Movie & Times He Nearly Got Killed Making His Early Films – Q&A
- Strictly star Alex Scott has signed up as host of The Real 2020 Games alongside Holly Willoughby and Freddie Flintoff
- 11pm Man Utd transfer news LIVE: Thiago Alcantara talks, Van de Beek shirt number REVEALED, Upamecano LATEST
Ethiopian Olympic gold medallist Haile Gebrselassie to join war, ready to pay 'ultimate price' have 652 words, post on www.thestar.com.my at November 25, 2021. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.