(Reuters) – Paris St Germain have been labelled as the side to beat in the Champions League since Lionel Messi joined during the close season but coach Mauricio Pochettino warned that he had not yet turned his stellar cast of players into a team.
PSG signed Messi as a free agent from Barcelona to assemble a formidable attacking trio with France striker Kylian Mbappe and Brazil forward Neymar, but they have yet to show what they are capable of together.
“We’re not a team yet. We are a club that has recruited many players this summer. There are some big names but we have to turn into a team,” Pochettino told a news conference on Tuesday on the eve of their opening Group A game at Club Brugge.
“We are a group of players who need to achieve results. There’s a feeling that we’re (PSG and Chelsea) the two teams to beat but Chelsea are the holders so they’re the team to beat especially after strengthening their squad.”
Captain Marquinhos said that there was “no added pressure” to win the Champions League since Messi had signed his two-year contract in a summer when former Real Madrid skipper Sergio Ramos and Liverpool midfielder Georginio Wijnaldum also arrived.
“We live with the pressure every season, especially when you play for PSG. This is part and parcel of it,” the Brazilian said.
“With the squad we have, people are going to talk about that even more. We are delighted to have such players with us but there’s no extra pressure, there’s only positives to take.”
PSG reached the Champions League semi-finals last season and were runners up in 2020 but have never won Europe’s elite club competition.
Pochettino said he had not decided yet whether Mbappe, Neymar and Messi, who has so far only played half an hour with PSG, would all play at the Jan Breydel stadium, explaining he would make his decision after Tuesday’s training session.
Should they play together, Marquinhos said he had no concerns about how the team would defend.
“If the three of them are up front, they’re experienced players, they know we have to be compact and defend together, and we know the defence has to play high to put them in the best conditions,” he explained.
“If there’s anything to be said I’ll certainly say it.”
Pochettino has choices to make in attack, but perhaps more significantly, he will need to pick between Keylor Navas and Gianluigi Donnarumma to play in goal after the Italian keeper joined the club having led the Azzurri to the European title.
“We’ll decide game by game. I think it’s the fairest thing. The reality is that having those two in the squad makes us happy,” he said.
“The season is long and having them will benefit the club. Every player knows that when you sign for PSG there will be competition. It’s very clear that there are only 11 starters among which only one goalkeeper.”
(Reporting by Julien Pretot; Editing by Toby Davis)
- PSG Coach Has 'Respect' For Barca Amid Speculation About Messi Transfer
- Naomi Osaka Buys Ownership Stake In Pro Women's Soccer Team, N.C. Courage!
- USC Football -- RUNNING BACK QUITS TEAM ... Says Coach Is 'Racist' (Update)
- Mbappe at PSG 'for many years to come', says Pochettino
- Pochettino: Who wouldn't want to coach a player of Messi's calibre?
- PSG suffer first defeat under Pochettino to allow Lille to move top
- Pochettino denies rejecting Real Madrid and Barcelona
- Neymar: from Barcelona to PSG a timeline
- Club World Cup: Al Ahly's 'Chosen One' coach draws strength from Nelson Mandela
- "Argentina Tour has helped build confidence in a big way," says Indian Women's Hockey Coach Sjoerd Marijne
- In-person learning during the pandemic is possible with the right precautions, CDC researchers say
- PSG trying to convince Messi to join from Barca, insists Paredes
- Chelsea appoint Tuchel: Fixing Werner woes on new coach's to-do list
- Mbappe: Neymar centre of PSG's project
- Rumour Has It: PSG planned for Mbappe exit? Allegri waiting on Real Madrid
- Rumour Has It: Neymar agrees to four-year PSG extension, Mbappe's future uncertain
- Rumour Has It: Real Madrid working on Mbappe deal as Liverpool lurk, PSG make Ramos offer
- PSG star Neymar denies 29th birthday party plans
- PSG hopeful of Dele Alli loan transfer after Mauricio Pochettino appointment and talks with Daniel Levy set
- Lorient 3-2 Paris Saint-Germain: Moffi and Wissa stun PSG after Neymar penalty double
Soccer - We're not even a team yet, says PSG coach Pochettino have 733 words, post on www.thestar.com.my at September 15, 2021. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.