In an unusual move, the Maharashtra government told the Bombay High Court on Tuesday that it does not want to reply to a plea filed by two accused in the Bhima Koregaon caste violence case challenging the transfer of the probe from Pune Police to the National Investigation Agency (NIA).
After public prosecutor Aruna Pai, representing the Maharashtra government, made this submission before a division bench of justices S.S. Shinde and N.J. Jamadar, advocates S.B. Talekar and Madhavi Ayyappan, appearing for the accused, expressed shock and urged the court to record the State's statement.
The court was hearing a criminal petition filed by Surendra Gadling and Sudhir Dhawale lodged at the Taloja Central Jail. It challenges the transfer of investigation to the NIA after the chargesheet was submitted and process issued to some of the accused. Under Secretary, of Government of India, Department of Home Affairs, issued the transfer order on January 24 last year. The petition argues that the transfer is contrary to the scheme of the NIA Act, as there is no provision empowering the Central government to order transfer after completion of investigation and commencement of trial, particularly when there are no compelling circumstances necessitating it.
The petition states, "The order transferring the investigation is impermissible under law. The order is vitiated and malafide as the transfer was undertaken by the Central government after much delay and curiously immediately after BJP lost power in Maharashtra".
The case has been posted for final hearing on September 27.
- Bhima Koregaon: NIA charges Stan Swamy, 7 others with waging war
- 'Threats From Shiv Sena': Bollywood's Kangana Ranaut Seeks Transfer of Criminal Cases to Home State
- Veena Malik’s ex-husband’s plea against transfer of kids ‘contrary’ to facts: MoFA
- SC reserves verdict on Gautam Navalakha's bail plea
- CBI probe will go on in corruption case against Anil Deshmukh: Supreme Court
- Bombay HC to pronounce order on Param Bir Singh's plea on April 5
- SC to hear Deshmukh's plea against CBI probe on Thursday
- NIA seizes two more luxury cars linked to suspended Mumbai cop Sachin Vaze, BJP demands NIA probe
- Anil Deshmukh, ex-Maharashtra Home Minister, likely to move SC to challenge Bombay HC order for CBI probe against him
- BJP delegation to meet Maharashtra Governor over extortion allegations against Home Minister Anil Deshmukh
- Singer Asha Bhosle to receive Maharashtra government's highest honour
- Maharashtra: Man upset with airline makes hoax bomb call, arrested
- Maharashtra government has no right to continue even for a minute: BJP
- Maharashtra: Anil Deshmukh accidental home minister, says Sanjay Raut
- Maharashtra ATS solves Mansukh Hiren's death case: DIG
- Sachin Waze’s two associates held in Hiren death case
- In Mansukh Hiran death case, NIA says yet to receive papers from ATS
- SC to hear former Mumbai top cop Param Bir Singh’s plea for CBI probe against Maharashtra Home Minister Anil Deshmukh
- SC dismisses Deshmukh's plea against CBI probe
Not replying to plea against probe transfer in Bhima Koregaon case: Maharashtra have 477 words, post on www.thehindu.com at September 15, 2021. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.