The Georgia State Election Board dismissed a case against Republican Senate candidate Herschel Walker's wife in a unanimous decision Tuesday, agreeing with the Georgia secretary of state's recommendation that her case be tossed out.
The secretary of state's office opened its investigation into Julie Blanchard last month after the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported she was living in Texas when she voted by absentee ballot in Georgia in the 2020 election.
The secretary of state's investigation determined Blanchard is a resident of Georgia and noted she owns property in Georgia, has a car registered there, has a Georgia driver's license, pays Georgia state income tax, and also runs a business in Georgia.
Blanchard had also told the AJC , according to its reporting in August, that she considered herself a Georgia resident despite owning property in both Texas — with her husband, Walker — and in Georgia.
Walker, a former University of Georgia football legend, had been living in Texas for years and remained there this year as he spent months mulling a Senate bid against Sen. Raphael Warnock (D-GA). In August, the former star athlete moved to Georgia and announced his candidacy, filing his official paperwork under his wife's Georgia address, located in the wealthy Buckhead neighborhood of Atlanta.
Former running back Herschel Walker appears for the Georgia Bulldogs on the sidelines against the UAB Blazers at Sanford Stadium on September 11, 2021, in Athens, Georgia. (Brett Davis/Getty Images)
Walker's campaign lambasted the now-moot accusation against Walker's wife as a "smear campaign" in a statement Tuesday.
"This was yet another absurd smear campaign by Herschel's political opponents. Herschel is traveling across the state connecting with Georgians and is laser focused on beating Raphael Warnock. Glad this matter is put to rest," press secretary Mallory Blount stated.
Walker grew up in the small town of Wrightsville, Georgia, and became a college football star in the Peach State before going on to play football professionally and compete in the Olympics.
Walker's name recognition, vocal support and a formal endorsement from former President Donald Trump, and a wide lead in early polling have positioned Walker as a frontrunner in the battleground state's Republican Senate primary field.
Write to Ashley Oliver at [email protected] .
- Former Stowmarket UKIP councillor Stephen Searle in court charged with murder of wife
- Trump berated McCabe for wife's politics, Comey's plane ride home
- UPDATED: Former UKIP councillor appears in court charged with wife’s murder
- Trio charged with murder of Panama Papers journalist killed in car bomb are criminals linked to bank heist
- Who are the fresh faces Theresa May has brought into Government to revitalise the Tories?
- 2017 in review: The top 12 Political stories of the year
- Why was Bill Clinton impeached, what was the Monica Lewinsky sex scandal and how long did their affair last?
- Theresa May is playing foxy bingo with plans to repeal the hunting ban, and it’s going to backfire
- Sadiq and Ameen: SC verdict in Imran disqualification case challenged
- From Belgium and jail with love: the surreal Catalan campaign
- Review of the year part 1: High achievers, community champions, controversial
- Carles Puigdemont can't govern Catalonia from exile, Madrid says
- Who was Edward Heath, what are the paedophile allegations against him and what as the child abuse inquiry report revealed?
- Health chief issues operations warning as flu outbreak hits
- Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini face Fifa D-day
- Robert Mugabe dodges 'house arrest' to attend graduation ceremony - where he 'falls ASLEEP'
Georgia Election Board Dismisses Voting Charges Against Herschel Walker's Wife have 584 words, post on www.breitbart.com at September 22, 2021. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.