KATIE TAYLOR and Natasha Jonas will renew their rivalry nine years on from their London 2012 Olympic bout.
That night in the capital, Taylor beat Jonas in the quarter-finals before going on to win gold.
Now, as a pro the Irish hero is a two-weight world champion, reigning as the undisputed lightweight queen.
But Jonas is seeking revenge in Manchester on the undercard of Derek Chisora and Joseph Parker’s heavyweight headliner.
Here, SunSport compares the two ahead of their rematch all those years on.
As an amateur, Taylor was as decolorated as it gets, winning 18 major gold medals, including at the Olympics, Worlds and European championships.
Her brilliant back foot boxing style, counter and precision punching were undeniable in the unpaid ranks.
And it did not take her much time to get settled in the pros, winning a world title seven fights and one year after turning over.
By 2019 she was undisputed champ having won all four lightweight belts – but it was not short of controversy.
Taylor beat Delfine Persoon to achieve the feat but several, including ringside pundits, scored it the other way.
It did not stop her momentum, though, as four months later she won the WBO belt at super-lightweight.
Taylor last August faced the challenge of Persoon again, coming up trumps for a second time.
It was another hard-fought battle and proved Taylor can be made uncomfortable with non-stop pressure.
But it also allowed the women’s boxing pioneer to prove her resilience and ability to fight back when the going gets tough.
CASINO SIGN UP OFFER: CLAIM UP TO £800 IN CASINO BONUS CASH
Most read in Boxing
Tyson was challenged to DEATHMATCH by Gracie but refused with ‘no way’ he’d win
Jonas was also an accomplished amateur, representing Great Britain at the World and European championships.
The Liverpudlian, the first woman to box for GB at the Olympics, initially retired in 2015 before the Rio Games.
But she reversed her decision and by 2017 turned pro and won six straight before her first loss.
The shock defeat came against Viviane Obenauf and left Jonas contemplating her career.
But she recovered with three more wins before challenging for Terri Harper’s WBC super-featherweight belt.
The pair boxed in Eddie Hearn’s Matchroom Square Garden and put on a thriller.
Jonas was distraught with the draw and lobbied for a rematch, which is yet to be granted.
Instead, she will get the chance to gain even sweeter revenge, taking on old rival Taylor once more.
- Katie Taylor sees path to undisputed lightweight crown, mega bout with Amanda Serrano
- For Katie Taylor, it all starts with pre-fight prayer
- 'This could be a monumental year for me': Katie Taylor faces Rose Volante in bid to be undisputed lightweight champion in 2019
- Tyson Fury vs Deontay Wilder II set for April 27 or early May, says Frank Warren
- Farmer vs. Carroll: Tevin Farmer retains IBF junior lightweight title with unanimous decision win, calls out Gervonta Davis
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Adrien Broner: 'AB' punks out
- Canelo Alvarez tale of the tape: Career record, highlights, age, height
- The Bellator Top 25: Ranking the best fighters in Bellator MMA history
- FMIA Divisional Weekend: Doobie Pump and a Big Piece of Cheese—How the Saints Saved Their Season
- Lomachenko vs. Crolla: Five times when British boxers were massive underdogs fighting in America
- 2018 CBS Sports boxer of the year: Oleksandr Usyk earns the honor as incredible rise continues
- Although focused on Hannah Rankin, Claressa Shields has her sights on Christina Hammer and equality in women's boxing
- Claressa Shields is fighting 'Greatest Woman of All Time' into existence
- Listen to State of Combat with Brian Campbell
- Retired Youngstown boxer Kelly Pavlik recalls his rise, fall and demons
- Chris Eubank Jr wins 'grudge match' against James DeGale on points decision
- Henry Cejudo: How
- The Remix, Vol. 25: How’s that for a three-event run of fights?
- The Remix, Volume 10: Traffic jams, terrific performances and new starts
- FMIA Week 13: Packers Fire McCarthy in Merciful Move For Coach, Team
Katie Taylor vs Natasha Jonas tale of the tape: How fighters compare ahead 2012 Olympics rematch bout this weekend have 735 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at April 29, 2021. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.