North Korea’s ruling Korean Workers’ Party has convened its 8th Party Congress, a rare gathering in which all eyes will be on Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un to see the path on which he intends to steer the nation forward. The last five years were marked by both unprecedented victories and setbacks, the latter of which appear to be dominating the current conversation in Pyongyang. “2020 was a tough year on North Korea,” Jeongmin Kim, Seoul Correspondent at NK News, told Newsweek. “COVID-19 and border closure, trade crashes, multiple floods and typhoons that destroyed the farmlands, failed five-year economic strategy and ongoing sanctions.” As Kim Jong Un oversees his second such meeting at the onset of the 10th year of his rule, experts say that the third-generation heir to the family dynasty leading the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea is setting the stage for a new strategy. This plan is likely designed to alleviate internal pressures while simultaneously attempting to navigate a fragile and frozen peace process with rival South Korea, officially the Republic of Korea, and its ally, the United States. But all analysts agreed that Kim Jong Un’s first priorities were at home as he presided over the… Read full this story
- Report: Trump No Longer Demands That North Korea Be Held Accountable for Its Nuclear Program
- Why is North Korea firing missiles while the rest of the world is fighting coronavirus?
- North Korea fires suspected cruise missiles into sea
- North Korea says it has detained another US citizen for 'hostile' acts
- On North Korea, 'We’re Fools If We Don’t Start Taking the President at His Word'
- In a dangerous world, North Korea’s latest nuclear test makes a kind of sense
- North Korea coronavirus deaths 'could rival famine that killed three million'
- Breakingviews - Guest view: Chinese oil can fuel North Korea talks
- North Korea says country remains coronavirus free, despite sharing borders with Asia's hardest-hit nations
- North Korea halts nuclear and missile tests ahead of planned Trump summit
North Korea's Party Congress is Moment of Truth for Kim and Country have 328 words, post on www.newsweek.com at January 6, 2021. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.