Iran denied on Tuesday it was using a South Korean ship and its crew as hostages, a day after it seized the tanker in the Gulf while pressing a demand for Seoul to release $7 billion in funds frozen under US sanctions.The seizure of the MT Hankuk Chemi and its 20-member crew near the strategic Strait of Hormuz has been seen as an attempt by Tehran to assert its demands, just two weeks before President-elect Joe Biden takes office in the United States.Iran wants Biden to lift sanctions imposed by outgoing President Donald Trump. Tehran’s critics have long accused it of capturing ships and foreign prisoners as a method of gaining leverage in negotiations.“We’ve become used to such allegations,” Iranian government spokesman Ali Rabiei told a news conference. “But if there is any hostage-taking, it is Korea’s government that is holding $7 billion, which belongs to us, hostage on baseless grounds.”South Korea summoned the Iranian ambassador, called for the ship to be released and said it was dispatching a delegation to Iran to discuss it. Iran says the ship was held over environmental violations.Iran’s ability to challenge shipping in the Gulf is one of its main… Read full this story
- South Korea’s Moon congratulates Biden, says ‘America is back’
- Iran-Seized Tanker a 'Slap in Face' to South Korea for Refusing to Release Oil Money, Source Claims
- Iran says it could ‘easily’ produce uranium for nuclear weapons in latest threat as tensions soar with US
- If Kim Jong Un destroyed North Korea's economy to keep Covid-19 out, will sanctions stop him from pursuing nuclear weapons?
- Iran warns against action over seized South Korean vessel
- Samsung and South Korea: What next after Lee's bribery conviction?
- Donald Trump says 'the movement we started is just beginning' and boasts he 'started no wars' in farewell address to the nation - and says he will 'pray' for new administration but does NOT mention Joe Biden
- Can Biden Fix the Mess Trump Made of Our Relationship With Iran?
- Sullivan Holds First Phone Convesration With Israeli Counterpart Meir Ben-Shabbat
- Joe Biden Sanctions Review Could Hand Iran COVID Relief Ahead of Nuclear Talks
Iran says South Korea holding $7 billion Iran funds ‘hostage’ have 358 words, post on www.hindustantimes.com at January 5, 2021. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.