A Baton Rouge judge on Thursday ruled a law used by House Republican lawmakers to order the governor to revoke his coronavirus restrictions is unconstitutional, dealing a blow to conservatives who have sought for months to loosen the rules. 19th Judicial District Judge William Morvant sided with Gov. John Bel Edwards in a Zoom hearing, effectively rejecting the latest tactic used by Republican lawmakers to revoke the coronavirus restrictions. Sixty-five of 68 House Republicans last month used an obscure 2003 law passed during the SARS pandemic to send a petition to Gov. John Bel Edwards directing him to cancel his virus restrictions. Morvant ruled the law in question violates the state Constitution because it doesn’t involve both chambers of the Legislature, instead allowing the House or Senate to act on their own. Will Louisiana coronavirus rules be revoked? This high-stakes court battle could decide that. Louisiana’s Democratic governor and Republican attorney general are set to face off in a high-stakes court battle Thursday to decide whether t… The decision keeps intact Edwards’ coronavirus rules–including a statewide mask mandate, social distancing requirements and gathering limits–as the country experiences the most severe surge in coronavirus cases since the pandemic began. Louisiana has largely avoided… Read full this story
- Column: Trump’s rationale for antiabortion rule was ‘blatantly’ false, judge rules
- Fox News Judge Says House Impeachment Inquiry 'Consistent With the Rules' That 'Republican Majority' Signed Into Law
- Va. House district now tied after ballot review by panel of judges
- What happens next in the House impeachment inquiry?
- Supreme Court to hear Louisiana abortion case in first test for conservative majority
- White House to Appeal After Federal Judge Blocks Trump's Travel Ban
- Read In Full: Letter From White House Refusing to Cooperate With Impeachment Inquiry
- The Circus Comes to the House Impeachment Inquiry
- ACLU, Planned Parenthood Sue Over 'Blatantly Unconstitutional' Alabama Abortion Ban
- Newt Gingrich: What are the House Democrats Afraid Of? | Opinion
House GOP tactic to end Louisiana coronavirus restrictions is unconstitutional, judge rules have 314 words, post on www.theadvocate.com at November 12, 2020. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.