President Donald Trump slammed Sen. Ben Sasse as being one of the ‘least effective’ Republican Senators after the Nebraska politician asserted that the president ‘kisses dictators’ butts’ in a recently released audio recording.
In scathing tweets posted on Saturday morning, Trump claimed that the Nebraska senator had gone back to his ‘stupid and obnoxious ways,’ even after he had done so much to help the state.
‘The least effective of our 53 Republican Senators, and a person who truly doesn’t have what it takes to be great, is Little Ben Sasse of Nebraska, a State which I have gladly done so much to help,’ he said in the tweet thread.
President Trump took to Twitter to slam Sen. Ben Sasse after the Nebraska senator’s comments on a call about him were leaked. It is unknown when the call happened
‘The least effective of our 53 Republican Senators, and a person who truly doesn’t have what it takes to be great, is Little Ben Sasse of Nebraska, a State which I have gladly done so much to help,’ Trump said in the Saturday tweet
He continued: ‘@SenSasse was as nice as a RINO can be until he recently won the Republican nomination to run for a second term. Then he went back to his rather stupid and obnoxious ways’
He continued: ‘@SenSasse was as nice as a RINO can be until he recently won the Republican nomination to run for a second term. Then he went back to his rather stupid and obnoxious ways.
‘Must feel he can’t lose to a Dem. Little Ben is a liability to the Republican Party, and an embarrassment to the Great State of Nebraska. Other than that, he’s just a wonderful guy!’
Trump then claimed that Sasse’s approval ratings would tank like others who have spoken out against him.
‘Senator Little Ben Sasse of the Great State of Nebraska seems to be heading down the same inglorious path as former Senators Liddle’ Bob Corker, whose approval rating in Tennessee went from 55% to 4%, & Jeff “the Flake” Flake, whose approval rating in Arizona went from 56% to practically nothing,’ he said in later tweets.
Trump then claimed that Sasse’s approval ratings would tank like others who have spoken out against him
‘Perhaps the Republicans should find a new and more viable candidate?’ he added
‘Both Senators became totally unelectable, couldn’t come even close to winning their primaries, and decided to drop out of politics and gracefully “RETIRE”. @SenSasse could be next, or perhaps the Republicans should find a new and more viable candidate?’
Sasse tore into the president in recorded comments from an apparent conference call with his constituents, the Washington Examiner reported – accusing him of having ‘ignored’ the coronavirus as it spread through the nation. He also accused Trump of having ‘treated the presidency like a business opportunity.’
Sasse predicted that Trump will lose the election.
‘I’m worried that if president Trump loses, as looks likely, he’s going to take the Senate down with him,’ Sasse said on the recorded call.
Some of his most searing comments dealt with the president’s handling of the coronavirus – where polls show Trump is struggling against rival Joe Biden, with daily infections above 50,000.
Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Neb.) tore into President Donald Trump in recorded comments, claiming Trump ‘careened’ during the coronavirus and ‘kisses dictators’ butts.’
Russian President Vladimir Putin (R) and US President Donald Trump shake hands before a meeting in Helsinki, on July 16, 2018. Sasse said Trump ‘kisses dictators’ butts’
Sasse predicted that Trump would lose the election
‘But the reality is that he careened from curb to curb. First, he ignored COVID. And then he went into full economic shutdown mode,’ said Sasse, who is up for reelection.
‘He was the one who said 10 to 14 days of shutdown would fix this. And that was always wrong. I mean, and so I don’t think the way he’s lead through COVID has been reasonable or responsible, or right.’
Sasse slammed Trump on foreign policy as well as domestic politics – even saying his party’s leader has ‘flirted’ with white supremacists.
‘The way he kisses dictators’ butts. I mean, the way he ignores the Uighurs, our literal concentration camps in Xinjiang. Right now, he hasn’t lifted a finger on behalf of the Hong-Kongers,’ Sasse said.
‘The United States now regularly sells out our allies under his leadership, the way he treats women, spends like a drunken sailor. The ways I criticize President Obama for that kind of spending; I’ve criticized President Trump for as well. He mocks evangelicals behind closed doors. His family has treated the presidency like a business opportunity. He’s flirted with white supremacists,’ he said.
The stunning comments came from a tele-town hall Sasse did with his constituents this week.
Sasse asked Judge Amy Comey Barrett to name the ‘five freedoms’ during the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee confirmation hearing
In this June 30, 2019, file photo, U.S. President Donald Trump, left, meets with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un at the North Korean side of the border at the village of Panmunjom in Demilitarized Zone. Kim on Saturday, October 3, 2020 sent a message of sympathy to Trump and his wife Melania, wishing they would recover from the COVID-19 illness, state media reported
Sasse said Trump ‘careened from curb to curb’ and ‘ignored COVID’
Sasse’s office didn’t deny the comments, telling the paper he believes in the importance of keeping the Senate, calling it ‘ten times more important’ than keeping the White House.
The remarks from Sasse put distance between him and Trump, even as he towed a party line in backing up Judge Amy Coney Barrett at Judiciary Committee hearings. He tossed softball questions, including one asking why the nation had a Bill of Rights, even as Democrats fumed at taking up the nomination so close to an election.
He also asked her to name the ‘five freedoms’ expressed in the First Amendment, although she only recalled freedom of press, speech, religion, and assembly. ‘Redress or protest,’ he told her when she asked for help remembering.
On the call, Sasse was responding to a constituent who asked him’ Why do you have to criticize [Trump] so much?’
He also hit Trump for ‘stupid political obsessions’ that could harm the party ‘if young people become permanent Democrats because they’ve just been repulsed by the obsessive nature of our politics, or if women who were willing to still vote with the Republican Party in 2016 decide that they need to turn away from this party permanently in the future.’
His comments emerged after even reliably conservative Republican incumbents like Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas) have put distance between themselves and the president in public comments.
- John McCain the Republican vs. John McCain the Patriot
- Donald Trump tweets 'does he even know what's happening?' as Joe Biden is formally nominated as the Democratic candidate - and Jill lashes back 'ridiculous!'
- Private Prison Lobby Targets House, Senate Races as Biden Pledges Crackdown
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - Biden, Harris launch Trump offensive in first joint appearance
- Trump’s Firing Away on Fifth Avenue, and We Are Fucked
- Against Harris, Trump Tries to Run the Birther Playbook
- Here’s a Liveblog of the Trump Presser, Tillerson and Sessions Hearings, and Any Other Insane Political News That Breaks Today
- 'HE SPIED ON MY CAMPAIGN!' Donald Trump rage-tweets at Barack Obama and Kamala Harris after his predecessor calls him a threat to democracy and incapable of meeting the 'weight of the office' he holds
- RNC night 1: Republicans argue that Trump's reelection will keep America safe
- 'I wish Donald Trump knew how to be president': Hillary Clinton warns Trump might 'steal his way to victory' and boasts she got more of the popular vote as she pleads with voters to back Joe Biden
- 'He will tear down democracy to win.' Barack Obama flames Donald Trump for narcissism, conspiracy theories, corruption and laziness and calls his presidency a 'reality show for the attention he craves' as he pleads with people to vote for Joe Biden
- GOP debate 2015: Republicans face off in Cleveland
- Eric Trump rejects 'fluffy messages' of Democratic National Convention: There was no specificity
- Pot blasts kettle: Bill tears into fellow impeached President Trump accusing him of spending 'hours a day watching TV' - labeling his Oval Office 'chaos' and saying America leads world in unemployment in wake of COVID - as he backs Biden at DNC
- Republicans Rebel Against Their Own Party's Stimulus Plan in Split with McConnell
- Is Texas Ready for a Democratic Senator? MJ Hegar Thinks So
- Steve Bannon talks 2020 race as Trump rallies supporters in Tulsa
- Inside the Republican Suicide Machine
- EXCLUSIVE: Michael Cohen is seen for the first time since revealing his bombshell book will say he witnessed golden showers, covered up Donald Trump’s affairs and accuses him of wanting to be president for life to stay out of prison
- Defense secretary Mark Esper REVERSES order to remove combat soldiers from Washington D.C. after talks at the White House as he fights to save his job in wake of publicly telling Donald Trump NOT to deploy federal forces
Trump berates Ben Sasse as being the 'least effective of our 53 Republican Senators' who has gone back to his 'stupid and obnoxious ways' after politician said the president 'kisses dictator's butts' in leaked audio have 1570 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at October 17, 2020. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.