HOLIDAY prices are being slashed for the Canary Islands in an attempt to encourage Brits to come back in time for the winter.
Despite it being great news that the islands are open once again, without quarantine restrictions, the holiday hotspot is still struggling to regain the numbers of tourists it once had.
According to TravelSupermarket, the average price of a winter holiday to the Canaries has fallen by as much as a third, due to the drop in demand.
Holidays to Fuerteventura are 33 per cent cheaper, followed by Tenerife (27 per cent cheaper) and Lanzarote (24 per cent cheaper). Gran Canaria prices have dropped by 14 per cent.
Not only can holidaymakers now grab a bargain, but it can also mean some winter sun, with temperatures remaining between 21C and 23C even in December.
- Seven nights at Apartamentos Monte Feliz in Gran Canaria with return flights – from £214pp
- Seven nights at Hotel Coral Teide Mar in Tenerife with return flights – from £141pp
- Seven nights at Pierre & Vacances Villages Clubs Origo Mare, in Fuerteventura with return flights – from £298pp
- Get £100 off your Jet2 holiday with WINTER50 code
- Seven nights at Oceano Apthotel in Lanzarote with return flights, 22kg luggage and transfers – from £262pp
- Seven nights all-inclusive at Colina Mar Apthotel in Gran Canaria with return flights, 22kg luggage and transfers – from £399pp
- Seven nights half-board at Hotel Gala, Playa del las Americas in Tenerife with return flights, 22kg luggage and transfers – from £445pp
- Seven nights in Tenerife with return flights with 23kg luggage and transfers – from £210pp
- Seven nights in Lanzarote with return flights with 23kg luggage and transfers – from £245pp
- Seven nights in Gran Canaria with return flights with 23kg luggage and transfers – from £259pp
- Seven nights in Tenerife with return flights, 15kg luggage and transfers – from £299pp (save 43%)
- Seven nights in Lanzarote with return flights, 15kg luggage and transfers – from £299pp (save 43%)
- Seven nights all-inclusive in Fuerteventura with return flights, 15kg luggage and transfers – from £ 482pp
TravelSupermarket’s Emma Coulthurst said: “People, who can afford to go away in autumn and winter, tend to be willing to pay a bit more than they would for a summer holiday on the Med for the chance of a sunny escape from the British winter.
“Despite significant increased demand for holidays to the Canaries on the back of last week’s announcement, a lot of the travel industry is reporting that traveller numbers are less than half where they would be normally.
“A lot of competition in the market for business means you can find a seven-night package holiday from the UK to Tenerife starting from under £150pp at the moment.”
She added that destinations such as the Maldives are likely to remain at similar prices, due to the limited occupancy at the resorts as well as the luxury nature of the holiday which tourists have come to expect.
Tenerife is now the most popular destination for Brits booking a holiday in November and December, along with Fuerteventura and Gran Canaria, while Maldives and Crete in Greece made the top five.
Top 10 most popular winter hols for Brits compared to 2019
- Gran Canaria
- Costa del Sol
- New York
- Algarve, Portugal
- Cape Verde
Most read in Beach
Covid-free certificates required by Canary Islands for all tourists within days
Last-minute quarantine-free November holidays with temperatures above 20C from £259
PACK YOUR BAGS
Can I travel to the Canary Islands? Holiday quarantine rules explained
Covid restrictions in Tenerife, Lanzarote and Gran Canaria if you go on hols
CHECK YOU OUT
Brits holidaying in Tenerife will be tested for Covid during hotel check-in
Holidays to the Caribbean can go ahead this winter as well, after they were added to the UK’s air bridge list.
TUI has relaunched package hols to St Lucia, Cuba and Antigua for some more winter sun options.
Dubai and Egypt may both be back on the travel list soon too.
If you click on a link in this story we will earn affiliate revenue.
- Glamping sites and holiday lets are still operating despite Brits warned to avoid tourist hotspots during Easter weekend
- Spain coronavirus travel update – hotel bosses worry they might not open again until 2021
- Latest Spain coronavirus travel advice – when can book my holiday to Benidorm, Tenerife or Ibiza?
- EasyJet are selling package holidays for summer 2021 from £166pp
- Holidaymakers returning to Spain after coronavirus lockdown will have to sunbathe 6ft apart on beaches
- Don’t book summer holidays in Europe, warns EU boss Ursula Von der Leyen – who says coronavirus may be here next year
- First look inside Disney’s new Star Wars attraction before it opens to the public tomorrow
- 'Cancelled holiday to Spain, so Spain is coming to us!' Britons get creative with bank holiday lockdown plans as sales of paddling pools surge 4000% and temperatures are set to hit 77F today and climb even higher tomorrow
- Brits warned to avoid travelling abroad ‘indefinitely’ – which could affect you getting a refund
- Why you should opt for a UK holiday after the lockdown is lifted – here are some of Britain’s most exotic spots
- Is Tenerife safe? Latest travel advice following coronavirus outbreak at quarantined hotel
- Holidaymakers heading to Spain could find beer prices as low as 50p after coronavirus
- What a difference a year makes: Coronavirus lockdown bites into Easter bank holiday with beaches deserted and roads empty as Britons heed 'stay at home' warnings
- Greece warns 65% of hotels face bankruptcy – which could be bad news for your holiday
- Double the fun and experience dream destination combos with a twin-centre holiday
- Where did the Great British package holiday begin — and will it survive the coronavirus crisis?
- Plane tickets expected to double in price compared to pre-lockdown if airlines are forced to fly half-empty cabins
- Brits flout lockdown rules by ‘inhaling hippy crack’ – as others sunbathe across UK
- Coronavirus live updates: SF water usage falls sharply with office buildings shut
- Exclusive: A to Z guide to the secrets behind Wayne and Coleen's wedding
Canary Island winter sun holidays fall in price by a third as hotels battle to attract Brit holidaymakers have 1017 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at October 29, 2020. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.